Ongoing issues with sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have moderate to severe sciatic pain in my left leg lasting 8 months now. MRI confirmed disc bulge at L4/L5 causing stenosis. Doctor originally said it's in recovery but little relief for the last 3 months. Two steroid injections made little difference. He has now changed one of my meds from Naproxin to Etoricoxib and has suggested the next step is surgery for nerve decompression. Has any one had any experience of such surgery and has anyone seen any benefits from taking Etoricoxib?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I've never taken the medication but had surgery.

Mine was more serious in that I had discectomy, laminectomy and fusion st L4-5. 10 months later I'm still in pain, it was good at the beginning but now sciatica has returned with time. If you can avoid surgery by using conservative methods then I advise you to do so. Surgery is not the magic bullet its made out to be however, yours may be a simple case which resolves.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

In story #4, I had the decompressive laminectomy and bone spur removal.  Worked perfectly.

If, however, you actually have foraminal stenosis, you may want to consider an LLIF (Lateral) fusion.  MIRACLE OPERATION!!!!!  I had stenosis at L2/L3.  One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab, instantaneous relief...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-expandable-spacer-570509

As an update to that older post...

- Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF" for an animation of the basic technique and then "Globus CALIBER" to see the expandable device.  Doc used the similar ELSA device (with the screws) for my op.

- I've attached pictures: Pre-op lateral, post-op posterior and post-op lateral.  You can see a huge difference.  Works GREAT for stenosis.  Look closely at the last picture.  My doc used the lordatic version of ELSA so he could control both the posterior and anterior spacing of the device.  That's why the rear edge is wider than the interior edge...maintains the proper spine curvature.

Have fun...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.