Ongoing Nausea, Trouble Swallowing, etc. for Years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had ongoing nausea for years, along with trouble swallowing and a lump in my throat that makes it feel like my throat is closing. I've always had a bad gag reflex as well. Other symtoms are: lots of salivation due to being hungry, left upper chest pain that recently subsided for the most part, "hot" feeling in abdomen, and regurgitation in back of throat that happens about once a month. In the past couple months, the nausea has gotten much worse to the point where I can hardly stand being in a car and when I get to school I can't lift my head up without feeling like I could puke any second. I haven't actually vomited in years, and I do have a big fear of it. The last time I went to the doctor for this was 2010-2011, and he told me it could be GERD, but didn't really elaborate at all. I'm kinda nervous to go again because I have always been underweight (I've never been over 120 lbs. in my life) and lost a little more weight recently due to not being able to eat as much. I've always wanted to gain more weight but it's never happened. I thought all this could be due to me eating tons of pasta, tomato sauce, and ramen, but I wasn't sure. My diet has improved since last year (no fast food at all, no soda, more whole foods and what not), but it's still not great. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Please return to your doctor. I am having difficulties myself at the moment and am fighting to get them sorted out. But the longer it is left the worse it will be. It does sound like you have GERD and in that case you really need to be taking some kind of stomach medication or at least a tightly controlled diet that may make your symptoms a whole lot easier to live with. I'm really sorry for you, I know how you feel and it's just horrendous it really is. Please go back to your doctor because there are a lot of things out there that can help you. Just don't give up, make them listen and demand help, it is their job after all. Good luck

• Posted

Go back to your doctor and ask about GERD.  Perhaps you need an endoscopy to diagnose you.
  • Posted

HI are you on any meds??  I'll make my reply based on your not. If you are please come back to us ASAP. it sounds like you MAY have a Hiatus hernia? which is causing acid to pass back up and burn you like the doc said GERD. It aslo sounds like you have inflamed areas due to acid.  At the very least you require an Endoscopy? to see whats occuring. PPI are not the monster some on here would have you believe, they can make your life almost normal.  The doc will put you on omeprazole or pantoprazole or maybe lansoprazole?. I take Pantoprazole 40mg once per day after years of problems and find they suit me best of the lot. 40mg Pantoprazole  = 20mg Omeprezole and both are low dose.  They may put you on 40mg Omeprezole or 30mg lansoprazole.  Dont panic many of us have been there, in essence your own acid is burning you, now the reason is somewhat a different matter.  You've had it for years so in a way thats good news.  Some just produce to much acid without any reasons.  After 6 months on PPIs you'll start to feel better but may require them long-term. 

• Posted

I suppose I will ahve to go back to the doctor soon. And no, I am not on any meds and never have been. I ran out of my vitamins this past week and I thought that was the cause for the sudden flareup but not entirely sure now. At the moment my abdominal area feels sort of "puffy" inside, which will not go away no matter how much I eat or drink. Sometimes eating will fix the problems, but at the moment it is doing nothing at all. Thanks for the replies.

• Posted

Go back sooner rather than later, I can't understand why your not on PPis is there reason?? I used to be able to have them for around one year and then come off but just found I had more longer lasting inflamation which was damaging me.  Get it sorted!!!  when I had it really bad last year (I've had problems for the last 20 years on and off and many Endoscopy) I could'nt eat a thing and had poos all the time.  This time they found a new HH and yet more inflamed areas. The dose they put me on was too low so adjusted myself and just told the doc who upped the prescription.  You may find you have to find your own answers and meds which suit you best.  But please please go and see your doc ASAP oh you may also find that you have IBS also.  Its sometimes down to more than one issue.  Are you in the UK???  

• Posted

I never was on medication because over the years that I've been experiencing nausea, it never was this bad. It only occurred in the morning and went away within an hour or so of being awake. This sudden worsening that occured withing a few days along with many other symptoms popping up is what really got me worried and pushed me over the edge wanting to fix this immediately. And no, I'm in the U.S.

• Posted

Ok thought so, if it was me and I can only say me I'd go and purchase Prilosec? 30 x 20mg for around the $8 mark.  Take 1 in the mornings 1 hour before food and see what occurs.  You may well find out it stops your nausea, give it 2 months.  Its only what the doc would put you on but they'd go for 40mg more than likely.  Now as I said if it was me, I'm not a doctor and so I can't advise on meds but in the UK its what you'd get 99% of the time and maybe an Endoscopy.  The Prilosec? will take around 3-4 days to even start to work, its not like Zantac which works within minutes, or you can try Zantac 2 x 150mg twice a day or 300mg once a day, they only sell over the counter in the UK 75mg tabs but in the US you can purchase 150s.  Again if it was me I'm not a doctor!!!!  LIke I said I've been on every med for the last 20 years and been on most dosages of the meds and read so much re test results and side effects. I've had more camaras pushed here and there, been CAT scanned until I glow but still on the meds and alwasy will be now.  What you dont want is your acid causing scaring and constant damage which can result in cancer forming long term.  Hit the acid whilst you can. Gerds has long term problems.   Good luck and let us know which way you go. smile

• Posted

I have a doctor's appointment for next week. Thanks for the responses, and will do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.