Ongoing pain from diverticulitis micro-perf 1 week after IV treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was discovered from going to the doc for a fever and a CT scan that I had some micro-perfs from diverticulitis along my lower intestine / colon, which I spent 4 days in the hospital on IV medication until my white blood cell count was down and sent home with 10 days worth of Amoxicillin.

I was released last Sunday, and all week I have been having pains in different parts of my stomach, and I am starting to get really worried as to why I seem to not be healing.

I have been doing a low fiber diet, eating very small portions every day with stool softener daily, however I now have a new pain once I try to lay down for the night, I am getting radiating pain from what feels like different organs or different parts of my GI track.

I had a 2-3 day stint of mind blowing testicle squishing type pain that I just found was due to sleeping through needing to urinate, once I made it a point to get up every time I even thought about peeing that subsided (thank god).

I'm not getting a fever and maybe just slight chills if I'm in bed, but I keep my house cold, so the only thing I have to go on is this now increasing pain that only occurs when I lay down.

A heating blanket only very slightly helps to prevent it, and once the pain starts going it amplifies quickly until I take a Percocet which I thankfully still have 8 left and a shower just to take the edge off the pain.

Stools are fine, no diarrhea or blood or anything abnormal at all except some pain while passing them, and I guess at this point I am afraid I'm going to miss a pain warning sign and make things worse to an irreversible point - Can anyone confirm how long they're pain continued after a similar situation?

Thanks!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can't comment on the type of pain or how long it continues for but I do think you would be wise to make sure you start replacing your gut microbiome with probiotics.  It's a known fact that your digestion relies on your good flora and that the serious antibiotics you have been on will have wiped both the bad and the good out.  Try to get a good variety of probiotics in capsule form (should be able to tolerate these) and also live yoghurt (again, should be soothing and you can get non dairy if this is a problem for you).  There are things like kombucha teas, kefir and sauerkraut - all may help if you can tolerate them.  Find out about them.  Other advice will come along soon, I'm sure.

• Posted

Good morning,

Keep in mind everyone is different! My diverticulitis extended into the descending colon without perforation. This flare is different than the first. I have had pain left sided, right sided, up high, down low , nausea  and bloating since Dec.  It has gotten much better over time. For me a lot of discomfort is from the antibiotics!

• Posted

To follow up on this, my primary care place kept telling me to go home and relax, and had I listened to them I'd be back at square one by the end of the week at very most.

After hounding them about ongoing pain and requesting white blood cell counts, it was found that since I left the hospital / IV medication, the Amoxicillin/CLAV antibiotic wasn't treating the issue anymore so my WBC count was steadily rising.

Got prescribed two new antibiotics that are much more aggressive, and a probiotic to maintain good stomach bacteria, and in less than 24 hours I feel better than I have all week.

Do not let doctors rush you out the door, if you are not feeling well keep going back every day if you need to, I was not taken seriously until my 4th follow up, if you don't feel good do NOT let doctors discourage you from pursuing answers and make you think you're paranoid.

• Posted

My earlier reply is waiting to be moderated - I just said to take probiotics!

If one of your new, aggressive antibiotics is Ciprofloxacin, a study showed that this one can affect your gut flora for up to a year - maybe more but the study ended after a year!  I suggest you keep taking probiotics for a good long time.  Good luck with it all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.