Ongoing pins and needles

Posted , 7 users are following.

I first noticed regular bouts of pins and needles in June 2018, in September that year i went to see the Dr for the first time as it had become a daily occurrence. It mainly affected my wrist and hand. She thought carpal tunnel syndrome and recommended a wrist support which i wore at night however it didn't improve at first. I stopped using it and eventually the pins and needles stopped over several months. Since then i have had them on and off but the last few months these attacks have gotten worse and they leave my arms hurting and feeling weak and heavy for weeks afterwards. I have noticed that my legs have begun to feel weaker at times and can feel like they are made of wood whilst i'm walking (only happened about 3 times in as many months). I'm also mixing words together sometimes when i'm talking which my daughter finds hilarious. My Dr has asked me to have a neck x-ray to see if it is a trapped nerve. Anyone experienced anything like this before as it feels like it is getting worse over time.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have pins and needles in both hands and arms accompanied by numbness, pain and weakness due to injuries. However, I don't mix my words. So your best bet is to have the neck X Ray as recommended by your doctor and any other test that she thinks may help to diagnose the cause. Neuropathy has many causes.

• Posted

thank you Pippa for your reply. I haven't injured my arms but i am a receptionist and i wonder if this may be why this keeps occurring. I had whiplash 23 years ago but it has never caused me any problems since the accident. What do you do to ease your symptoms because I don't want to keep taking tablets because it then affects my acid reflux? Hope you can find relief soon.

• Posted

A lot of computer work can strain muscles and nerves in your hands. Previous injuries, even those that have occurred years ago , can resurface as nerve injuries as a later stage. I fell on my elbow 20 to 40 years ago and the initial pain went away after a few days. However, six months later, the pain came back along with reduced strength in the arm; this pain still comes and goes in response to cold damp weather. Touching the bone causes pain and electric shock sensations to radiate down to my fingers. I wonder if I damaged the ulnar nerve. On one occasion, I lost power in my hand when the nerves short circuited. Sometimes standard painkillers take the edge of the pain, but heat is what really takes the symptoms away.

My other arm got damaged after a blood test and is in a worse condition. I have constant pain, numbness and tingling and touching it makes it worse. Flexing it in certain ways causes pain. Sometimes I get all these symptoms at once. Heat helps this injury too and cold weather triggers symptoms. The best thing I can do is to accept the pain because I know it will never heal. The longest period of relief I get is the three months I spend in Italy during the summer.

• Posted

I've had peripheral neuropathy for many years and have to many doctors and a few doctors have helped my pain in both feet and toes, but the pain still persists ! If I don't get some help soon, I feel like I'm going to lose my ability to walk !!

I'm going to another doctor soon, and I hope he can help me !

Every doctor that I've been to over the years cannot find the cause of PN !

I'll keep going to more doctors as long as I can walk !!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your struggles. What tests have they performed on you? I have had issues with my folate levels in the past but they are now at normal levels. I'm overweight so at first she thought it was related to diabetes luckily it is not. I don't think i have a trapped nerve because surely i would have pain in my neck. I'm so confused and would love to find an answer. Hope you can find an answer soon too because i know how much this is affecting my life and i can only imagine how much worse it is for you.

• Posted

A friend of mine had a trapped nerve in his wrist but it didn't affect his neck. I once trapped a nerve in my fingers without affecting my neck. The only time I have had on off pain at the nape of my neck was when my back pain was flaring up.

• Posted

i had a neck x-ray and it showed deterioration in my neck, i think they said it was spondyloysis (sorry i don't know how to spell it)

• Posted

With me, I have had injuries which led to nerve problems which I just have to learn to live with because there is no cure. I hope you can get relief for your problems. Don't worry about your spelling; medical terms can be tricky!

• Posted

i am having similar issues. The numbness/tingling started in my left leg and foot. Next i felt it in my left wrist and forearm. And then the same thing happened with my right arm. Not sure if ive felt it yet in my right leg. But i am now beginning to feel the same feeling in my left cheekbone/face muscle right under the eye? Id love to know if you ever found out what was wrong? Ive been extremely worried about it and ive been to two ERs. Nobody can really explain anything to me.

• Posted

hi billy82283 the doctor thought mine may be caused by carpal tunnel or possibly diabetes. Blood test for diabetes came back normal, i wore a wrist support which didn't do anything. In the end I had a neck x-ray which showed early degenerative changes in my neck which they believe are causing the pins and needles. Luckily for me the past month i have been pins and needles free so I'm not entirely sure what was going on with me.

• Posted

see ive already had the blood testing done for diabetes. All of my levels are normal my vitals are normal blood pressure normal. I guess i am just going to have to sit and wait for my neurology appointment at the end of the month. This is all random for me. Ive had no notable injuries for it to be linked to. Who knows.

• Posted

Dear billy, I've still not found out why I have this peripheral neuropathy !

I have an MRI on my cervical spine coming up next week and a Cat Scan also !

I'll keep you posted !

• Posted

Thank you yes please keep me posted! I have a Neurology Appointment scheduled for the 28th of this month, but i am definitely impatiently waiting. Thats the soonest i could get in anywhere. Id love to hear if you find anything out.

• Posted

Sounds like a trapped nerve. But you should be asking for a more definitive answer from your medico. Take charge. If it's been going on for 2 years then it's probably not a dire situation but one worth following up.

• Posted

thank you buddah, since I have had the x-ray my symptoms have pretty much stopped. I rarely get pins and needles anymore so that is good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.