Ongoing problem, any help would be appreciated! :)

Posted , 7 users are following.

baldness, like genetics. I'm on some treatments for it but whith not much result. Loosing my hair so young at 20 has really taken a massive Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old male and I think I'm suffering from anxiety a bit. (Sorry if this is a big read!)

This year has been a really weird one. I'm on a gap year before I will start university next September. I've start to notice I have began to loose my hair (frontal & crown) I've had this checked and it's due to male pattern blow to my confidence. I use to be a really outgoing person, plying lots of sports, going out with friends, doing with family etc. I always use to have a smile on my face and laugh about anything but now I never seem as happy eek

Even for simple things like going for football training, eating out with friends, I get really nervous beforehand, sickley feeling in my tummy. Sometimes I actually am sick from the feeling. This happens espepcially before i go to eat out at a restuarant (feeling really sick and anxious before going out to it). It's the same for sports, I know it's silly but  find myself worrying! I always use to like been with big crowds of people and having loads of different people to talk too but now especially when I'm with people my own age, I feel pretty uncomfortable to be around them because of my problem, like everyone my age seems to have lovely hair and i just have thinning crown and temples and some frontal too, it's so annoying! This has really had a massive impact on my life, I constantly worry about how I look like (I'm not vain!). I never worried about this ever before but when I started loosing my hair a bit, it made me much for self conscious. I'd love to try and cure all this, especially the eating out a restaurants bit and not having to feel ill before hand. I've recently started a part time job as a waiter which my parents really pushed me to do before university. I know it will be good for me but I feel so sick and nervous just thinking about it, especially when I have to serve women, I always feel like a mess haha! I'm going to the gym and still practicing my sports, so I'm trying to keep as busy as I can. It does help but nothing really has changed so much. I really want to sort this before next September because I don't want to go to university in this sort of a state sad If you read this, thanks so much! Best wishes everyone,

Cammy

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry the top part is all muddle up! I did something wrong, uh oh! I hope you understand anyway! Thanks cheesygrin

• Posted

Hair transplants may be your answer.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply sir, you might be right! I'm going to look in to it but I'm afraid it will be probably be to expensive sad

• Posted

What are u worried about? Looks arnt everythong and I'm sure you look fab as you are!  Anxiety is nasty.. but you could always speak to a doctor about it and how much it's hitting your confidence and maybe they can help in some way 

Em

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Em smile Yeah of course, your right! It's just tough when hardly anyone your age has the problem and then everyone just laughs about it rolleyes Yeah I think it's a good idea, thank you!

• Posted

I think that maybe you where a little vulnerable and that your mind latched on to the one thing that you are most conscious about...

Can I say that from a women's point of view..the majority of us are attracted by personality and confidence. My ex was the most handsome man in the world to me but thousands of women would disagree. They say love is blind and it is. I spoke to him for months on the phone before we met and fell head over heals with his personality and charm. If I saw him out I probably wouldn't initially fancy him but that didn't matter. To me he was amazing.

With all that said....we all have different tastes and there is somebody for everybody and I for one love bald heads and it doesn't even enter my head whether people are losing a bit of hair.

Other people like long hair on men,others like shaved,others like somebody with a bit of style or even scruffy hair.

If you think about your own type it probably differs so much from the type your friends go for.

We are all beautifully individual in our own way. Embrace yourself,hold your head up high and think "stuff it,my hair may be thinning but that's just part of me,the rest of me is awesome"!!!xx

• Posted

Yeah I think that's one of the main reason probably rolleyes

That's great about your ex too, he sounded like a really cool guy! I guess it's more about personality and stuff though as you said.

It's just weird because all girls around my age around 18-25 all seem to want guys with good hair and muscles and stuff. I know thats not neccesarily true of course but!

Thanks so much for your answer though, it defintley helped in a very positive way, thank you!

• Posted

Hi your hair loss is due to genetics, which is something you cannot change unless you have a lot of money for hair transplant. Women are attracted to all sorts of men the same has men are to women. It's down to personality and charactor not how much hair someone has. I bet most people don't notice and even if they did it wouldn't bother them. Your confidence and self esteem are what needs to be worked on which is causing your anxiety. You need to focus on other things in

your life, like your university and friendships, family etc. You could maybe speak to your GP about your anxiety. You need to change your though patterns from negatives into positives.  

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply Elizabeth!

I guess that's true, I'm looking in to a hair transplant but I thnk it's going to cost to much unfortuantley.

Thanks though, your right, I think they key is to be more positive! The restaurant thing is the most annoying though, even when I'm eating and I feel fine I suddenly feel very full and anxious, it just happens but say if I eat at hme with family and things like that I never ever have it.

Thanks again for your response smile

• Posted

Hi Cammy, the restaurant thing I totally get what you mean, we were on holiday at a hotel in the summer and every time we sat down in the restaurant I had to leave, not sure why but the panic hit me like a train I felt terrible for about an hour before dinner and once I got in there I just had 2 get out once I was out I was fine, my poor hubby had 2 sit and have his meals on his own but the hotel staff were great they let him bring mine up 2 the room so I could have it there, we are planning a family meal out in a restaurant next month in a place we have visited for years but I know im going 2 make an idiot of myself but im determined 2 do it and try 2 overcome this and kick its ugly ass smile xx
    • Posted

Hi Lesley,

Thanks so much for your reply!  cheesygrin

That's crazy that you get the eating out thing too! Do you think it's just an anxiety thing? I know how you mean though, it feels much better to eat back in the room instead! The weird thing is I went out for a meal for my friends birthday in a really busy restaurant and i had no problems at all, i thought it was cured then the next time i ate out, it came back again. I hope your family meal goes okay though, you can do it! Best of luck cheesygrin Go and kick it in the ass! xx

• Posted

Hi there, I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I had very long beautiful thick hair and pretty much from one day to another I started losing it. I was 11 years old so you can imagine the bullying, no confidence... But it didn't matter that much as I was more worried about how my mum felt as it affected hurt really badly.... My hair started growing back a few years later but then I lost it again when I was 17. After that it never grew back properly and now I'm 35 and I've got pretty much nothing left. I became very good at hiding it but now I am wearing a wig. My anxiety and panic attacks started when I was 17/18 years old. It goes properly out of hand but then I can have months where I feel good. My anxiety started again in August, better in September and rubbish again now sad just upped my med yesterday. All of this to say that I totally understand you but don't worry you will get through it. I have so you will too! You will have good and bad days but we just need to accept that there is no cure for hair loss unfortunately. However, it won't stop you to do things! (For me sometimes it does as i can't put my head under the water so I can't dive for ex...) But in general it's ok. Don't let it get you down, it's not worth it and there is always far worse out there... That's how I try to see it. I hope I helped a little. X
    • Posted

Hi Babette,

Thanks very much for your response!

I'm so sorry about the sitaution you have gone through too, it's really, really unfortuante and unfair cry Thanks so much for your support though, I really appreciate it! I suppose for a man it's more easier to loose hair if that makes any sense? But I think it happens to a lot of women to unfortuantley. I really hope you will pick up and begin feeling better, keep doing your best! You can do it cheesygrin

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.