ongoing problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

me agin ....i had my TAH on April  7th followed by a 2 week hospital stay due to complications....after 3 weeks back home i was re-admitted for 4 days with excrutiating pain  which they say was constipation & need to continue laxative .... weeks later & several trips to the doctor & various infections i am still struggling ...this week i had diarrhoea for 6 days resulting in rubber pants as too scared not too due to public accidents....i either go lots or not at all & sometimes have excrutiating pain & a 6 inch area around my belly button is constantly tender ...any ideas pleas ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Andrea.

I'm really sorry to hear about your post-op complications. Constipation can be an uncomfortable condition which can cause abdominal pain if the diet is not adequate after TAH. I had laparoscopic hysterectomy with only one ovary left and during the surgery the endometriosis was so severe that caused adhesions where my blader was glued to other organs including the gross intestine. Thank God they did not cut anything out of it, however 13 wks later I have to be very careful what I eat because if I strain due to constipation it can cause internal bleeding around the surgery area. My advice to you is to be careful what you eat. I've tried natural jucing every day, eat a soft breakfast, tried to avoid coffee and rice. Eat pleanty of fruits, vegetables and drink water or prune juice (half a cup). Moving around helps tremendously. I've only took two supositiories on two different occasions and it helped. Usually, one stool softner also helped me get relief.  My advice to you is not to take more then 2 stool softners a day usually few hrs after you eat. Generally, I feel great just little out of energy sometimes due to hormone imbalance. If a soft diet, drinking prune juice, along with walking dose not help my guess it could be something else related to surgery. Also, I did have a urinary track infection after a two day stay in the hospital due to intense bleeding after 3 wks post op. An internal hematoma (coagulated blood around the surgery) can also cause pain. It usually resolves on its own (at least in my case), however check with your doctor or if unhappy get a second opinion. Good luck and get better soon. 

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear your having such a hard time. I had an infection after my op and spent 9 days in hospital afterwards and found I had ongoing bowel problems. It certainly was a hard time especially when everyone else seemed to be absolutely fine after.

I had intermittent constipation and loose bowels but not to the degree you described although I was scared to go any distance from a loo. I wondered if actual the op or the antibiotics had anything to do with it but I had IBS occasionally before. I ended up cutting out milk and dairy which seemed to fix the loose bowels I now only drink soya milk and eat plenty of veg things calmed down since then. I also took 1 immodium to help firm things up if I was planning to go out and things were too loose. This problem lasted at least 3 months. As a note I ended up getting a colonoscopy they did find a non cancerous small lump and am now on recall every 5 years. So keep checking in with the Dr how its going as he's best to advise you.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Reverse that I meant severe constipation can also cause diarrhoea. I wish there was an edit button!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.