Ongoing respiratory problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

A year ago in September 2020 my son at the age of 6 months old started becoming wheezy. my partner and I took to our local GP where the Dr prescribed him Amoxcicilin for a chest infection. a week later he was still not better and the wheeze had become worse to the point he was now gasping for air. we phoned 999 for an ambulance. they took hime to out local hospital and everything they tried was making him more and more irritable causing his levels and breathing to become worse, in the end they had to sedate him and intubate him which meant taking him to Great Ormund street Hospital. he was there for a week to stabilise him and then they released him back to the local hospital for a couple of days and then was allowed to return home. he was treated for Bronchitis.

from that first admission up until December of 2020 he had 6 admissions to hospital 3 of which were to Great Ormund Street Hospital. his final admission of that year they did more intense investigations and found out he was aspirating meaning he was inhaling some of the food and drink and that he had a Laryngeal Cleft type 1 where they did endoscopic surgery to fix it.

Throughout the spring and summer of 2021 his health has been pretty good. back in June he had a follow up appointment at Great Ormund Street Hospital where they looked at the laryngeal cleft he had and found out he was still aspirating and booked us an appoint in sept/oct 2021 for a procedure to look at the laryngeal cleft in more detail by the surgeon who did the operation.

unfortunately at the end of september 2021 he had fallen ill again which ended up in our local hospital, meaning we missed our appointment at Great Ormund Street Hospital. This time he was in for around 4 days where he was treated with nebulizers, oxiflow and antibiotics. since then until now we have missed our 2nd rescheduled appointment due to the same reasons and he has been in hospital 4 times, each lasting around 4 or 5 days. on all his discharge papers it mentions he has had one of the cold viruses.

they are refusing to do the procedure at Great ormund Street until he is well for a few weeks.

I feel as though that with the way things are going this time round and the way things went last year that this isn't going to happen as he is in hospital nearly every other week, and he wont get better without this procedure from Great Ormund Street Hospital.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Appointments are important, make them a high priority.

• Posted

i understand appointments are important and we attend every one of them but unfortunately due to him being ill at the time of some of then they wouldn't do the appointments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.