Ongoing shoulder pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am getting to my wits end.  I injured both right and left shoulders over 6 years ago falling up some stairs. Ultimately I have had to have operations on both the shoulders - 1 on the left and 3 on the right.

The 1st operation was on my left shoulder and it has been great up until recently when it is starting to get sore.  I put it down to it having to overcompensate for my right shoulder during the 3 operations on it and all the rehabilitation that I have had to do.  Not that the rehab has made a dramatic difference - I have extremely good strength on both shoulders, good range of movement but still have quite a lot of pain in the right front of my shoulder.  I suppose I have probably got some arthritis happening which probably doesn't help.  My workplace is not really helpful in relation to the distress I am having - all they seem interested in is getting me back to work full time so as to reduce the insurance premium that have to pay due to my injury.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything else that I can do to relieve this issue?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What type of work do you do? Is the pain due to any screw ups on the docs end or it just it happened? Sorry were in the same boat and it sucks
    • Posted

I do computer work........... my work place has set me up with Voice Activated Software (Nuance Dragon) but I find it rather slow going due to the type of work I have to do.  If I was just typing letters all day it would be great but my work is very varied.  They expect me to use it 99.9 per cent of the time - which is impossible as by the end of the day my voice is hoarse.  Not even radio announcers are required to talk for 7.5 hrs per day..........

​Guess I will just have to put up with it or look for another job - who will employ someone who has shoulder issues that probably will never resolve no matter how much physio and exercise I do.

• Posted

In UK we have a Fit note from Doctor for phased return to work and specific light work too.

My op on right upper humerus restricted my shoulder and arm movement initially for 6 months while  I also took pain relief tablets. A walking stick is helpful.

I am still doing physio 2 years later free with the National health Service also.

The pin and plates were removed in July and this helped too.

I wish you a speedy recovery too.

• Posted

I am under Dr's guidance and am restricted to no work over shoulder height and no heavy lifting.  I am on what they call in Australia a Graduated Return To Work program which increases the amount of hours you work gradually, in the hope of you getting back to the hours you were working before the injury.  I am currently pushing my self to get back to working 7.5hrs per day 5 days a week - eventhough I am experiencing  pain nearly everyday - financially I have to as I have used all my savings when my hours of work were reduced even though I was receiving some compensation payments - not that they covered bills etc.

​It is just so frustrating as I feel as if my life is not my own and all work cares about it having me working full time.  They certainly don't seem to care that my life has been totally disrupted as there are a lot of things that I can't do anymore that I used to be able to do - so my quality of life is not great.

​I dropped a glass the other day at home because my right arm suddenly started to shake and went numb and lost all feeling in my fingers. 

• Posted

Im in the same boat with my right shoulder I disculated it november 2014 

hade an operation on it in August last year my range of movment has improved but is not 100% iv also got terrible pain in my elbow and numness in 3 fingers ,and bad pain in my neck going up into my head  this has been from when i fell and disculated my shoulder not after the operation , i have now been releaved of my possishion of employment through ill health and receiving ESA , i have an assessment meeting with them on tuesday to see weather im intitled to it or not 

• Posted

Sounds like you got your nerves issues, I have nerve issues in my right hand if I use It to much, due to possible getting hit by my own ladder over 20 years ago in that elbow, I had to beg physical therapy to let me stop therapy for a few weeks my neck is so painful from the treatment and I know I have some bone issues there, but never though the two problems would end up at my neck, i'm scare until a see a neck doctor, they could break my neck
    • Posted

Yer im not sure whats going on in there but iv had enough the phisio trys her hardest but the pain kicks in and sends my neck arm and hand into spasms then it's painful for days 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.