Ongoing vaginal odor post menopause

Posted , 12 users are following.

Here is my story ... lol. Hopefully, I am NOT alone with this problem and someone can help! No matter what I do, my vagina has a stale, stinky, very old funky urine smell.

I'm 52 yrs old,

Partial hysterectomy 10+ yrs ago,

Tested for and have ZERO infections

Not sexually active very often but Hubby has been tested and is infection free.

Only medication is for cholesterol

Shower/bath daily using Dove White (unscented) soap.

I have been to my gynecologist. She ran the usual tests and found nothing. I am NOT LEAKING urine, not even when I sneeze. She JUST keeps repeating to NOT DOUCHE (I don't), mild soap, increase water intake, all the usual things. However, this stale urine, sweaty, funky odor is getting embarrasing. I don't even want my hubby of 25+plus years anywhere near there. Even when I use a public restroom, I feel the need to spritz air freshener. This is bad. No matter what I do, it returns. Even immediately after showering, when I am drying off down there I sniff the towel (yes, I am that worried that I do that), it STILLS smells.

I am at my wits end. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I suggest that the bacteria in your vagina is unbalanced. Start taking a women's probiotic that has vaginal flora in it. Hopefully, that will help.  Also, there is an acidic gel on the market that you can get on amazon.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi , I do understand. Perhaps not to the we tend you suffer but I sometimes get this old stale smell and it is so upsetting. No idea what causes it.
  • Posted

Hi I read that when you're in perimenapause you body odor can change I have not reach that yet I have fatigue dizzy pain on my right side of ear head neck shoulder I just started getting these symptoms when I started perI about 4 months ago can you also share what you had with peri.

• Posted

Hi Momabee, yes I think I smell quicker in that area,but I think it's hormones doing it hotflashes the sweating just carry on having a bath and that's all I'm doing until things calm down.

• Posted

I would suggest femfresh ultimate care if will restore your Ph balance which is out of wack. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Momabee1,

I agree with another poster that suggested starting a good probiotic. I would also suggest try diluting apple cider vinegar in water. You don't need much. One part vinegar three parts water in a small container. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply it on the outside of your vaginal area. Sitting on the toilet works best as it will be a little messy. Do this several times a day. I know it sounds weird but apple cider vinegar does take care of a lot of things and this just may do the trick for getting thing right with that problem for you. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi momsbee 

A friend of mine has the same thing 

She gets it b cus she has small ant of urine leakage 

And also when her period is delayed by a few months she gets the odor aswell 

• Posted

I am a 64 year old female. I went through menopause at 56. I had a full hysterectomy and rectocele surgery at 62. Just this past fall I have also been plagued with horrible embarrassing  vaginal odor. I’ve tried probiotics, showers daily if not twice daily and showers every other day as suggested. Nothing was working. Nothing!  I’ve been to the gynecologist and he just says it’s normal. Well, it’s not normal for me!  

I’ve been an avid ice green tea drinker for many years. Yes it has sugar and some honey in it. I find I drink too much tea and not enough water. So one day I decided to limit myself to one glass per day. Now I did this basically to try to lose a few pounds. I started by drinking 4 (12oz) glasses of water per day. To my surprise my odor is gone!  2 weeks now! First time in many months!  I’m just wondering if my issues were hydration I’m lacking and dryness. Or was it the sugar. Regardless I suggest you at least try drinking at least 64oz of water per day. I just can’t believe it, I’d almost given up. 

• Posted

Hi momabee, why on earth would she say no douching? Now I don't douche myself but I definitely use a shower head in one hand and with the other hand water and very mild bar soap up in there gets me super clean I rinse very well all the soap out and left very clean ... I've been washing myself that way since periods started as a young woman and never ever have I had issues with odor, or PH off balance nothing.. Just super clean afterwards,, good luck hope you find something that works for you ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.