Only 26 and Just been diagnosed NEED HELP PLEASE

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi everyone i got diagnosed with DD in the sigmoid and the transverse colon so far, i really need help im in pain all the time and anxiety does not help.. im going to put my symptoms down roughly in order ive had this for 2 months and is getting worse.

-pressure in my head (mostly after food)

-lower abdominal pain

-slight constipation

-alot of nausea

-pain all over my abdomen (cramps/tenderness)

-pressure in chest

-lower abdomen burning

-stomach burning

-feeling sick after food

-bloating sometimes

-chest infection type symptoms

-alot of gas from both sides

-trying to burp all the time (mostly struggling)

-shortness of breath

-occasional heartburn

-intigestion

-sore throat

a few other things but thats most of it.

has anybody experienced all of these? its putting me into a depressionand ive been in tears about it. i need help or reassurance because i just dont know what to do. no matter what i eat i get near enough the same outcome

thanks guys

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Pete,

First of all do not panic. Things will improve. You can live with this. Many many people have DD.

It is like a giant club and you will meet other people who have it. We can all help each other.

I will be the first to say my help did not come from the Dr. Your help will come from this forum and from others you meet who have this too.

Food is very important. Right now you may need to go on liquids only for 2 days to give your insides a chance to heal. After that you will need to go to very soft foods like mashed potatoes or backed potato no peel or better than that peel the potato and boil it in a pot on the stove. Soft white bread like rolls.

I am not sure if you cook but green beans from a can cooked until very tender ( an hour or so) maybe some very tender chicken breast not fried.

For now no milk shakes or a lot of dairy. Butter on the potato but no milk and cereal yet. NO red meat, no pizza, No red sauce or spicy foods. Those things you may can have later but not now. You must give your guts a chance to heal. Think resting your gut. Also go and get a good probiotic.

Keep reading. Remember you have others who can help you. Trust me you will get better but it will take a little time.

Blessings to you and hang in there Pete. Just remember to be careful with food for a bit.

Georgie

• Posted

Hi Pete,

First of all do not panic. Things will improve. You can live with this. Many many people have DD.

It is like a giant club and you will meet other people who have it. We can all help each other.

I will be the first to say my help did not come from the Dr. Your help will come from this forum and from others you meet who have this too.

Food is very important. Right now you may need to go on liquids only for 2 days to give your insides a chance to heal. After that you will need to go to very soft foods like mashed potatoes or backed potato no peel or better than that peel the potato and boil it in a pot on the stove. Soft white bread like rolls.

I am not sure if you cook but green beans from a can cooked until very tender ( an hour or so) maybe some very tender chicken breast not fried.

For now no milk shakes or a lot of dairy. Butter on the potato but no milk and cereal yet. NO red meat, no pizza, No red sauce or spicy foods. Those things you may can have later but not now. You must give your guts a chance to heal. Think resting your gut. Also go and get a good probiotic.

Keep reading. Remember you have others who can help you. Trust me you will get better but it will take a little time.

Blessings to you and hang in there Pete. Just remember to be careful with food for a bit.

Georgie

• Posted

Hi Pete,

Georgie

• Posted

Pasta sauce/tomato soup/Salsa never, ever bothered me. I had a microperforation the end of September which sparked my chronic DD. Just had a sigmoidectomy a month ago. * Important to note ALL people are different, acidic tomatoes etc never caused issue with me. I think pizza and very limited fried food is the way to go. Cooked veggies are your friend. If your DD continues to be a problem a month or more after your flare it's likely chronic. Speak to your GI doc about your options. If you are in the UK the NHS will only do surgery on cases that worsen or don't at all improve. Eating bland food for the rest of your life is no way at all to live.

• Edited

Hi Pete,

I had most of the symptoms you have! A lot of those symptoms are a result of reflux.

None of them except the head pressure and chest pressure is out of the ordinary. Are you on antibiotics now?? You should go back to your Dr if you are miserable. Maybe the antibiotics aren't working. A heating pad and Tylenol help.

My diet consisted of scrambled eggs, grilled cheese,and chicken in the crockpot.with mashed potatoes.

Keep asking questions there is a lot of help here!

Kate

• Posted

Hello SO SORRY,

Yes had all of this... Get a great doctor, be proactive to your health, pain needs! So many doctors hospital van delay treatments etc so be proactive in all of the areas you mentioned! Ive had it twice learned hard way. speak up, do meds diet as they advice... Make sure any medication you are on DOES not cause constipation not good with diverticulitis! My faith determination and great husband got me through. Good luck 🙏

• Posted

Hello Pete, I see this post is 3 weeks old but I was just going to tell you that you're not alone. I hope you feel better by now. I was first diagnosed with DD when I was 22. Dont panic it does get better, it is tough to deal with but it can be managed. You have come to the right place, the wonderful people in this forum helped me tremendously. As the poster before me said start eating again very cautiously and don't over do it. Once you are able to eat normal again make a food journal and every time you introduce something new into your diet write it down. Some people can eat certain things and some cant. Good luck.

• Posted

the pain in your chest can be trapped gas. drink 7up ginger ale something like that to try to make yourself burp. it also sounds like you have acid reflux or an ulcer. with diverticulitis flare ups you want to eat soft easy to digest foods like eggs and mashed potatoes ensure drinks. you will have to pay attention to what causes you problems because its different for everyone. don't eat a lot of beef cause that's hard to digest. eat seafood or chicken for protein. you might have to stick to easy foods for a month or two. when you feel better you want to start watching fiber intake. you want between 20 to 30 grams a day! corn, chia seeds flax seeds and nuts don't digest so even though they have fiber you might want to avoid them. possible for years. also if you can walk it helps. you don't have to walk fast it's more for time. it helps move gas and helps you have a bowel movement. also get a good primary doctor to help you because this will be for the rest of your life. so you will have to make changes. but once you get it under control you can do pretty much whatever just watch your diet and don't eat things that set you off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.