Only a few weeks between diarrhoea attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had a painful flare up Boxing Day 2017. Hospital one night only, antibiotics for seven days. Since then I’ve had three bad attacks of diarrhoea, lasting several days. Each time I do 48 hours liquid diet, then ease  myself back into normal food. I can’t seem to hit on what is my ‘bad food’. Yesterday it appears to have been a small egg sandwich, (hard boiled and mashed). Explosive bm three hours later. Then all night, with mucous, (sorry) NO BLOOD. I’m back on liquids but feel rotten. No pain. No fever. I suppose I’m only looking for advice/reassurance. My GP doesn’t seem to know much about dd.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No pain, no fever - I'm wondering if it's DD, some food intolerance like gluten, just a tummy upset, or something like IBS.  Something similar happened to me only yesterday,  I had a vegetable rice salad for lunch - just boiled rice with roasted peppers, onions, corn, peas and a teaspoon of curry powder.  I too had the runs from 3pm until gone midnight - every 30 minutes or so.  At first I wondered if it was DD as I had cramps for about 2 hours, but they soon stopped and I realised it was just a tummy upset.  But I often have this for lunch and it's never troubled me before.  Today I'm absolutely fine, but stuck to tea, a little porridge and soup so far, and I've been just 4 times - not much left inside!!!!

Something is clearly irritating your inside, and sometimes it can take about 8 hours to take effect.  I've heard that you can develop allergies to things you were previously fine with.  I had ordinary bread for many years, but became gluten intolerant when I developed DD.   If you didn't have a CT scan or colonoscopy, how were you diagnosed?  If you did, then anything sinister would have been picked up.  Hope you get to the bottom of things (pun intended!).  Best wishes

• Posted

Hello Felinia, Many thanks for your reply to my plea for help. I think I was already coming round to the idea that all these attacks are not actual DD. I was infected with Toxic Shigella Dysentery via an Indian Restaurant meal in August 2016. The awful symptoms lasted until November 2016, and I suspect by then my bowel was probably weakened. I had a colonoscopy that November and diagnosed with DD, two polyps that were removed, but nothing else sinister. I’ve only been hospitalised once for a flare up last Boxing Day, confirmed then by a consultant. Yes, I believe you are right, I must try to work out what particular food is affecting my weakened system.....I do keep a diary of my attacks etc, because at 76 I would never remember it all, haha! I do hope you have fully recovered and are feeling much better.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Aileen

Yes thanks - I've just has veggie cakes of mash, spinach and mushrooms, with runner beans.  Pretty bland, but filled a hole.  I'm going to have some plain yogurt now.  And I'm 67 - gone are the days of wild eating!!  All the best.

• Posted

I find liquids can be brutal! I feel better on a soft diet. Toast scrambled egg or pancakes. I sometimes can eat only one egg and 1/2 piece of toast a couple  hours later. Really small meals ! If I ate a whole sandwich I would be sick!
    • Posted

Hi, Many thanks for responding to my ‘request’ for advice. Yes I dislike the liquids too. I do make my own consomme soup with chicken and veg. I strain it and store it in the freezer for my bad days. Tomorrow I shall try a little soft food, like you say, and some poached fish for tea if I’m ok all day. I had been clear of diarrhoea for over threee weeks when I ate my sandwich. I was eating normally. I keep a fairly good food diary and I am trying to determine which food is upsetting my bowel. I feel pretty low at the moment, fed up with having to stay close to the loo, haha.

best wishes

• Posted

I probably should make my own soup!

Funny I can eat fish too without being sick. I’ve had paineveryday since Dec and can’t wait until I have surgery. It really is a tough disease!

• Posted

I too have bad diarrhea and cramps if I eat eggs .

It sounds like IBS to me . I can't eat so many things now due to IBS .

• Posted

Hi Linda, I think I’d better look into IBS. Because my diarrhoea attacks last for anything up to a week, I sort of ruled IBS out. I imagined it would cause maybe several trips to the loo within one day, but maybe an attack does irritate the bowel into a prolonged Diarrhoea.
  • Posted

You need a catscan, have they done that yet?
    • Posted

No, this is UK.....no catscan, even though it was requested by the A and E Consultant on Boxing Day, when I was last admitted. They just discharged me the following day with antibiotics! I have managed my symptoms at home since then, because I have no pain and no fever.
    • Posted

No pain no fever is good!

Pain and no fever not so good. I had an abdominal infection, my white count was fine, my blood pressure was fine my temp was below normal, but I was in pain. Pay attention to the pain. 

Can you demand a catscan? Make a bunch of noise?

Best,

Cecil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.