Only been on Effexor 75 mg for 3 days, Doc wants me to up to 150 already

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does this sound normal?  I started actually on 25 mg immediate release tabs for 3-4 days, no problem.  I'm about to go on vacation & don't want to have any bad side effects while I'm gone.   Doing well on 75.   Should I wait till vacation is over to bump up to 150?

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ur body hasnt adjusted to thismed yet so I wud b very apprehensive about upping already. I think thats way too fast but I’m not a Dr or anything close to that. Lol. Speak with a pharmacist b4 you do that!!!!!!
  • Posted

Just to add —Doc wanted me to start the 150 in 2 separate doses.  75 in morning & 75 at night.  

• Posted

I took 75mg for two weeks then 150mg. I don't know if it is right to go up that fast but I only got some benefit after four weeks of 150mg so the more you take might be better but I felt worse for a month on 150mg then better and side effects are bad at first but if you are ok on 75mg you might not feel the side effects on 150mg because they started as soon as I took the first one.

• Posted

I had very strange dreams in between coming off Prozac & before starting Effexor.   Back then (a few weeks ago) I was having the worst anxiety & only sleeping about 3-4 hours a night, heart pounding, no appetite, diarrhea.  It was hell.  Still not sure if it was "SSRI discontinuation syndrome" or what.   PC doc gave me Buspar but that takes weeks to kick in.  I needed immediate relief & the Buspar made me so sick besides.  I got smart & ditched the PC doc for a psychiatrist who is an expert in this stuff.   I decided to stay on the 75 mg XR for a while.  Called Dcc yesterday to tell her.   She said OK,   Why should I go up to 150 after only 3-4 days on 75?   I'm going to take it slow & see how the 75's work.  It may be all that I need.  It was said by someone on here that Effexor 75's are equal/similar to Prozac 20 mg & that's what I was on for YEARS & was just fine.

• Posted

So familiar I've been the exact same comin off one antidepressant onto another n the dreams are spool strange n quite frightening sometimes. I was only sleeping 50mins a night sometimes pure n utter hell. Worst anxiety ever n no appetite either exact same as u but now I'm on venlafaxine n doing ok xx

• Posted

So strange not spool would be interesting too keep in touch xxx
    • Posted

Wow yeah same as me.  Let’s keep in touch. Good luck to us! What mg we’re they going to up you to?
    • Posted

Yes 75mg twice a day and just 4 weeks I noticed a massive difference within 2 weeks xxx
    • Posted

When I phoned receptionist at surgery I think she said the mental health doctor said i could go up too 200 and something and I was like oh ok that's fine but I'm ok just now on the 75mg twice a day so like 150mg. I honestly never thought I was going too get better xxx

• Posted

Ohhhhhh.  That’s what my Dr wanted me to do starting yesterday.   2 - 75’s a day & I was scared to because I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow.  I’m just on one 75 a day.    I had 2 great days & today not so good. 

• Posted

Hey Karen how are you doing on 75 mgs twice a day?  How long have you been on 150 mgs now?  
    • Posted

I'm doing fine Barbara back at work after being off due too this. I've been on it quite a few weeks now. I was on 37.5mg twice a day then mental health put it up too 75mg twice a day. Xx

• Posted

Good to hear!! Best of luck to you.    Go to my doc on Tuesday for a check in.  
    • Posted

Good luck Barbara I went through absolute he'll but glad too say I'm now getting there your not alone Barbara. I was told by mental health too stop feeling bad about this illness it's nothing I've done. It's the same if someone was a diabetic they would need medicine too get better I was beating myself up thinking how can I not just be normal like everyone else. But obv people do suffer n now talk a bit more about it xxx

• Posted

You’re absolutely right. And for me I was trying to work full time & it was soooo hard.   I don’t know why-but I’m so scared to up the dose like my doc wants me to.   To 150 from 75.  Worried about side effects.  This coming Tuesday will be exactly 2 weeks on 75.  Some people on here have said to not jump up to a higher dose right away until o see how 75 works for me. 

• Posted

I was absolutely fine Barbara in fact I'd say I was much better. But everyone's different so I can only speak for myself. One thing I will say is don't Google things too much thats the mistake i kept making n I know people want too help but everyone's different too how they react on medicine. I would take the advice of the doctors/mental health team that's what I'm doing. Keep in touch xxx

• Posted

Yes!!  That’s what I’ve been told by my 2 nieces who also are omg Effexor.  They told me to STOP reading things online.  Lol. They said that most people that have horrible experiences are the ones that write comments not so much the ones that are doing great.  Lol.  Yes keep in touch too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.