Only day 5 of Verapamil for vestibular migraines and I have Side Effects!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was given verapamil to take in increasing dosages starting at 40 mg for the first week and then increading dosages over the 2nd and 3rd weeks.  Now it's only day 5  of the first week and the side effects of extreme fatigue and acid reflux have steadily increased. the other day I took my 40 mg dose and fell asleep as I was sitting on the couch about 30 minutes later. Today I thought I was going to pass out as I was taking a walk (which I do everyday regualrly) and the acid reflux is so bad today it feels like someone is grabbing ahold of my throat and strangling me. My throat also burns. Has anyone else had these kinds of reactions on such a low dose? I'm afraid to even take 40 mg tomorrow, much less increase the dose with a second 40 mg the following day 7.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

yes it can cause these side effects, but are you taking it after food?  It can make you feel light headed too as it will lower your blood pressure as its primarily used for this purpose.  I take 240mg twice a day and I can get swollen ankles.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Take care

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I take it after eating a meal, usually after breakfast. I was kind of surprised to have any side effects on such a low starting dose, but I guess it doesn't matter how much you take for the side effects to happen? I'm just hoping they don't get any worse when I incease the dosage. Is there any evidence that the side effects can start to go away once you're on the drug for a while?

• Posted

Yes, your body gets used to the drug and side effects subside.  I would say dont increase too much too quickly else this will casue problems.  I take Verapamil in conjuction with Pregabalin and this combo seems to help control headaches better.  Good luck Patricia, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  Take care
    • Posted

My doctor called me today. I had left a message asking about side effects. I told him I was experiencing extreme fatigue for the first few hours after taking 40 mg as well as a few skipped beats in my heart. He told me to stop the medication, wait a week and he will try me on something else. I am disappointed because I was hoping this medication would work for me. It did seem to clear my head, at leat it felt that way about 40 minutes after I'd take the 40 mg dose. I had one of my worse days today though (this was the 7th day I took the 40 mg dose and was suppoed to go to 80 mg tomorrow for a week.) It wasn't until about 6 or 7 hours after I took the 40 mg that the dizziness lessened. So I'm not sure if it was the drug or if the drug was starting to leave my body and then the dizziness lessened. What a mess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.