Oopherectomy Recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am due to have Salpingo oopherectomy on Thursday . All being well it is to be done by keyhole surgery . Can anyone tell me what to expect regarding recovery . How long am I likely to have off work ? Will I be in much pain post surgery ? 

Some people are saying they returned to work within a few days and others say it's weeks .  

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Recovery time is short, a few days, then take it easy for a couple of weeks. Depends on whether you have a sedentary job or a manual one, ask your surgeon about returning to work.

You'll feel a bit more tired than usual for a few days, and the air that is pumped in causes a bit of shoulder pain in some people, it didn't bother me. 

It's not regarded as a major op, you'll be over it fairly quickly, and should have minimal pain, good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jane hope your feeling ok and everything went well.  Let me know what it was like  Karen xxx
    • Posted

Hi Karen , all went well. I was first down in theatre which was good as I didn't have to wait too long. After surgery I felt pretty groggy and very nauseous .  I managed to drink water but really had no appetite. The worst thing for me was that I couldn't pass water , and they won't let you go home till you have.  I had 2 1/2 jugs of water and still nothing . Eventually after a cup of tea it happened , but not much. They did let me go home, I am passing water but very little and often . It's now the day after , I am very sore and uncomfortable and not had much sleep ( mainly because I've needed to go to the toilet every half hour) but I'm sure with time it'll get better.

• Posted

I'll be undergoing the same operation in 20 days, except it's a laparotomy instead of a keyhole. May I ask which hospital you're going to? 

In terms of recovery you should definitely give yourself a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.