Op finally done

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

Just a quick update. After waiting for my op and chasing my consultants secretary and getting no where I contacted Pals last Monday, 23rd of May. On the Thursday 26th of May I received a phone call from the hospital saying that they could do my operation that Saturday 28th of May! Panic stations only left me 36 hours to sort everything out!

Operation went well and I am now at home recuperating, I went down to theatre at 10.30 am and was back on the ward by 2.00pm and discharged at 6.30pm! I won't lie I am still in a lot of pain and discomfort but already feel so much better in myself.

When the Surgeon spoke to me post op he said my Gallbladder was rotten, it was full of sludge as well as stones and had completely stopped functioning, it was no longer producing bile and my ducts were all blocked with stones, he was amazed that I had not been a lot poorlier than I already was. If you have been waiting to long for your surgery please chase it up and push for a date, im really pleased I did, if it had been left much longer im sure I would of ended up as an emergency needing open surgery, as it was luckily it was still manageable by key hole thank god. Take care all xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's good news. I couldn't agree with you any more! The waiting times are too long and it puts people at risk of complications. I'm pleased you are all done and doing well. It's such a relief isn't it? Best wishes to you for a full recovery :-)
  • Posted

good for you!  Always good to hear a positive outcome.  Hopefully you'll keep us all posted on how you feel.  Yes, I'm one of "those" that is dragging they're feet on having gall bladder surgery and have an almost daily something with the gall bladder.  Be it reflux or imaginery heart attacks.  I contemplate surgery all the time, but just too scared about the outcome to go thru with it. 
    • Posted

Just scared.  My surgeon was really quick to say, "let's schedule it".  And my significant other is going thru surgery and chemo right now, so got to stay strong for him.  I know, that's a cop out, but just the thought of another surgery, really has me bummed.  AND, I read so much on this site of the awful after effects people have had.  I really don't want the rest of my life to be about suffering AFTER.  Does that make sense? 
    • Posted

Yes, of course that makes sense. You have a lot to contend with. I don't know if you have stones or not but if you do then the complications can be quite serious. I spent 9 days in hospital and it took me a good two months to get over a bout of cholecystitis. The op is day case and as long as they can do keyhole it's very quick and more often than not, day case and home the same day. It's been two weeks for me and I am pretty much back to normal. I put off going to the doctors for 3 years and I suffered the consequences. If I had weighed up my options before I had cholecystitis, it would have been better for me to seek help before I became really unwell. Not an easy decision to make, I understand but I think you should consider the possible complications and how that could impact on you even more than just having the surgery. That's just my opinion though.
  • Posted

Great news! Sounds like you did the right thing pushing.

I'm still waiting despite chasing - on 4th date now mid July - they keep having staffing problems apparently. And evidently my pre op still stands they won't repeat it even though it was done start of Feb. They cannot guarantee the new date will be viable either.

But its all behind you now, so enjoy your journey to recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Everyone

Cynthia I do hope yours is scheduled soon and not cancelled this time. I'm now 5 days post op and can't believe how well I feel 😀 I also had a hernia which was repaired at the same time, not suffering from reflux these past few days has been amazing!

To the lady who is putting surgery off, sorry forgot your name and can not scroll on my phone, please reconsider. You will always hear horror stories and about things that don't work, never the positives. Even if surgery does not cure you completley suetkt it will make you feel a bit better, which had to be worth it.

I honestly van not believe how well I feel in myself, excluding the pain from surgery I am the best I have been in years, and as long as I continue with a low fat diet there is no reason why that won't continue xx

• Posted

gosh, that's wonderful.  Wish we could hear more from people that feel better after.  After several days of yet another bout, I am serriously thinking of going ahead with surgery.  this is not fun. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.