Op in 5Days Ahhhh

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can anybody help with any reasurrance? im 24 & due op in 5days on my right foot & tendon release at the same time. I havnt really been given any information on what is going to happen frown all i know, is that i will be having the op on tuesday 29th. never before had any reason to attend hosp no broken bones, nothing. each day closer is becoming more nerve wrecking. what do i do after? whats everybody else outcome afterwards? pain? sleeping? im so scared i feel sick, cant sleep properly. help anyone?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi soxisjesus I'm sure you will be fine , try not to worry , I had  a scarf ostectomy 4 weeks ago (basically I had 2 bones broken during surgery  and pins put in )  it was to straighten my foot and big toe , the hospital gave me painkillers to take home with me , are you in hospital as a day patient ? , it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be , as long as you rest your foot nod keep taking the painkillers as directed , I have to have my other foot done and wouldn't hesitate to get it done . I hope this helps in some way , try not to get worried , good luck and post on how you got on 
  • Posted

Hi Soxisjesus, the nerve blocks will stop you feeling any pain for about 12 hours, and if you start taking the pain killers before this wears off you shouldn't feel much pain. The first 2-3 days will be the worst for discomfort, but this soon settles down. Then it's just plenty of rest for a few weeks with your foot elevated as much as possible. I'm at 5 weeks post scarf osteotomy now and hardly have any swelling or pain. 

I found it best not to have the bed covers on my foot at all until about a week ago.

• Posted

Loads of information in these forums, there was one on what to prepare before hand. 

There te is one forum with the title Hello There. If you can find it, it's very active loads of people before, after and beyond with great advice and just pee going through the same.  It is very scary, all procedures seem to be different but we

are all supporting each other .  

I will try find the link for youn

• Posted

You will be absolutely fine.  Mine is 3 weeks post surgery.  I had scarf and Weils osteotomy and a neuroma excised and I was a complete wuss before and I wouldn't hesitate in getting the other foot done in the future.  Pain wasn't as bad as I ever imagined it to be.  3 / 4 days after and I came off pain killers and haven't needed one since.  Keep on your back for the 1st couple of days with your foot elevated above the level of your pelvis.  This was definately the best advice given.  Reduce swelling therefore reduce discomfort.  Boredom is the worst part
  • Posted

I never even had a nerve block...... So even me being the biggest wuss on the planet, handled the discomfort !!
  • Posted

Have you someone to

look after you for first few days.  You can't get up much at first, lots of drinks, snacks, books , mags or whatever you like at your bedside. 

• Posted

Hi,I had a Scarf and second toe release and tendon straigthened and now post op 4 weeks.  The first 48 hours were the most uncomfortable for me, but I was off the pain killers after that,  Mostly discomfort and had the bandage re done today as it was coming apart.  I have only a little discomfort now but that comes on when I do too much, so my own fault and have been able to continue upper body and Pilates type exercise right from the start,  I agree, the boredom is the worst thing!  Please don't be scared or put off, I'm 57 and still going strong! You are young and hopefully will bounce back very quickly.  Ths forum has been sooooo helpful! smile
  • Posted

So my computer is being stupid & not letting me reply to your posts, so will try this way.  Im mostly worried about just having the op all together, the pain & that is okay i have a high hold of that. i did the most stupid thing tho, i went and watched videos of the the op, wish i didnt now. As soon as i heard the drilling sound, i went as white as a sheet. i need to relax some how, i cant sleep properly.  how bad does the pain get? i dont even know what i am suppose to take in with me, what do i take??? oh god this is so nerve wrecking, i feel sick. sad i didnt expect to get the call so quick i got told i would be waiting atleast three months.how long was everybody else waiting & How long has it took anybody before they can get back into walking & shoes??
    • Posted

Hi , my husband did what you did and showed me the op on video, are you in the UK ?  I saw my consultant in January  and had the op in March , I was told to take in a dressing gown and slippers , honestly you will be fine the nurses  will put you at ease , the anaesthetist  will come and see you and your consultant and they will explain everything to you . I know it can be a scary time but really it is fine, I'm not in shoes as yet but it's only been just over 4 weeks since my op , I'm going to see my consultant on 30th April and I am very keen to get my other foot done , the pain isn't really that bad , the hospital will send you home with painkillers , it's more uncomfortable than painful , the first 24/48 hours it's a little painful but as long as you keep up with the painkillers it will keep it under control , I hope this helps 
    • Posted

For during the operation if you are just having local anaesthetic like I did, you will NEED an ipod or something with earphones playing VERY LOUD music. It doesn,t completely drown out the sounds ,but helps a lot. My surgeon was instructing another and I'm glad I didn't hear him talking about it. I also had a magazine with me which I tried to concentrate on. I could feel my foot being moved about, but absolutely no pain. The nurses are very nice and will check you're ok throughout. It was a very bearable experience, so don't worry too much.
  • Posted

Hi soxisjesus. I had a scarf osteotomy 2 weeks ago and like you had never been to hospital or anything before and was very worried. I wasn't given very much information before; I'd suggest writing down the questions that you have and you can ask your nurse and surgeon/consultant when they come to you before the operation. Remember to ask when your follow up appointment will be, what kind of dressing you will have (I had a huge bandage and a wedge shoe and crutches), check that they will have painkillers for you to take home, etc.

the nurses that took me down to theatre we're brilliant, kept me nice and distracted until I was anaesthetised.

i had expected it to be really painful, but the nerve block lasted until we'll into the next day; I took ibuprofen 3 times a day for several days just to make sure and to help with swelling. Like the others on here have said, when you're home, keep it raised above pelvis level as much as possible for the first 2 weeks, (I.e. 50 mins out of every hour if you can) as this helps the swelling which will help it heal.

i had the bandage removed after a week and now have a splint and the wedge shoe and it only really aches or tingles if if I've been moving around too much.

good luck tomorrow and look forwards to hearing how well it has gone soon

• Posted

so im back home after the 13hour stay in hospital,must say i havnt felt any pain yet just tingly, so tired. i had scarf and two other things done (one on calf). dont know why i was so worried. thanks to yous for the help. i have a pink plaster, back i 2week for check up  and a re'cast fit 4-6weeks of that baby! iv been given codeine, paracetamol, diclofenac & crutches. im meant to have injections for blood thining, but the nurse hasnt come to do it, what should i do?
    • Posted

Definately phone and check, maybe they are on there way now
    • Posted

Pleased you are ok , we all worry , just take the prescribed tablets they have given you to keep pain relief working (even if you think you don't need it) just for the first few days at least , hope someone visits you to give you the injection you need , keep us posted on how you are getting on 
  • Posted

hi guys, thanks for all the support & help, im doing great cheesygrin  no pain, so just on the anti-inflam tabs and the injection. hate not being able to do anything tho and im sure mydad is gettin bored of being my slave haha, anyway  just a question i wanted to ask was,  how long do u keep the ted stocking on for? i know iv got the cast for 6weeks so do i keep that on to for 6weeks? p.s should my foot feel better when its not elevated so high? xx
    • Posted

Hey soxisjesus I was told to keep the ted stocking on for a week , so after that it came off , when I elevate my leg I normally rest foot on a cushion it just needs to be slightly higher than your hip , sounds like you are doing great . I'm coming up to 6 weeks now , I can get a trainor shoe on but it's still swollen so I'm unable to use lace in shoe , when foot starts to ache I still elevate . Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.