Op next week - advice please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm due to have an ovarian cyst, ovary and fallopian tube removed via laparoscopy next Thursday (6th). I've been told I'll be in hospital for one night minimum. What do you think are the chances of me being in for longer than this? Has anyone had to stay in hospital for longer than one night following a laparoscopy? I've also been told that they are hoping to do a laparoscopy, but it could turn to a laparotomy. Has this happened to anyone? If so, what were the reasons for converting to the open surgery?

?I'm getting very nervous now, so I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

?Thanks in advance,

?Rebecca x

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I had the same op last year, plus a prolapse repair done while I was under.

The laparoscopy was not an issue at all, compared to the prolapse repair which was a major op, the ovary removal was easy to get over, nothing to worry about, even though I had a lot of adhesions from a previous hysterectomy.

Try not to worry too much, it's a few weeks taking it easy, three small incisions, self dissolving stitches... you will get over it quickley, it's just a minor op nowadays..

• Posted

Good luck with it all! I'm having ovaries and Fallopian tubes out on the 11th, I'm going in as a day patient, my consultant said it is the air left in your body afterwards that causes the most pain afterwards, you'll have to let me know! x

• Posted

the air didn't bother me at all, though I looked like a balloon!

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

Please don't worry - it is not as bad as you might be imagining.

I had an open Cesarean type incision as I had a 12cm Dermoid cyst which they couldn't get out larascopically. I was only in hospital overnight and left about 24 hrs after the op. I was in a great deal of pain directly after the surgery but it was dealt with very quickly. 

It was uncomfortable for a few days but I was driving again in a week and went back to work after 5. 

It is a bit daunting and I was nervous too but if you do end up with a big incision then it isn't the end of the world. My scar has disappeared now can I am much better without the cyst!

Hope it goes well

Angelax

• Posted

Hello! I had similar surgery June 8. Cyst, right ovary and both tubes removed via laproscopy. (All confirmed benign!) It was a day surgery - in hospital by 10, surgery at 12 and home by about 5. I had 4 incisions, the largest over my c section scar. I felt ok coming home but tired and stuck to pain medication prescribed. The worst pain was the co2 in my neck and diaphram that peaked on days 3 and 4. I may have been doing too much and ended up flat on back (no other position was comfortable with a heating pad on my neck). The second week I found the pain subsiding but was so very tired and continued to feel bloated. I've been back to work now for a week and feel about 95%. Best wishes I am sure you'll do great!

• Posted

I'm right there with you. I'll have my first surgery at 31 for a dermoid inside my left ovary. I'm hoping they will not take out the ovary and tube. I hear it is a simple surgery but I'm still extremely nervous. Most people stay in for one day. Mine is scheduled for 10 on the 11th (next Tuesday) and so far I'm told I'll be out by 3. I know a cyst that is smaller than 10 cm can be easily removed.

Mine so far is a 5 I think. They haven't been sure. I fell to the floor in pain in front of my kindergarteners 5/23. They rushed me to a hospital. One doctor there said it was a clear cyst and it will to down in a few months. I followed up 2 weeks later with my regular ob who said it's a dermoid. Now I was referred to a special doctor to have it removed. I haven't heard anything else.

Please let me know how your surgery went. I hope it went well. I'm more nervous about the pain medication. I already told my doctor I'll only take high dose of ibuprofen. Nothing else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.