Op to repair Tendons

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,i had a fall on crutches in November after my Hip operation and i was told i had broken my tendons,the are going to do an operation to see if they can pin them back up in late April or May.Anyone tell me what to expect or if it will work,due to my bones not being brilliant to to to many steroids the say the pins may pop back out and they cannot do anything else if that happens..

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bell. So sorry to read your story. It sucks. You don't say what tendons have been damaged. I have had AC reconstruction and have been in a sling for 6 weeks so far and am going to physio every 2 weeks with a visit to surgeon every 4 for xrays etc to make sure it this staying put as I have soft bones. I have been told 6 months before I will be able to resume normal life but as I also was in the 3rd stage of a frozen shoulder when I had my accident it may take longer.
    • Posted

Hi Mymaude,Thanks for the reply,sorry,it is the tendons in my lefr should/arm which have gone,i was told in November it would be Arm in a sling for 4 to 6 weeks when done,i have just had a call putting my op back from 7th April till late May now so it will have been 6 months after the fall by then so i hope they will still be able to stretch them..
  • Posted

Hi Bell,

Bless your heart! Falling is what scares me the most and have been lucky enough to not suffer it. I am not familiar with the tendon re-attachment surgery but wanted to show you my support.

Hoping all goes well for you and please let us know how it goes so we can cheer you on!

Hugs

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Hi DawnDee,many thanks for your message,after reading about you i think its you who needs support and i hope you do get some and also i hope you get relief from your pain soon,many thanks again. Mick UK
  • Posted

Oh how rubbish for you, however, when I had my accident my I had to wait 6 weeks in the hope that it would repair itself and was told by my surgeon that it wouldn't have any negative impact if I had to have surgery in the end and this was the same if it had been 6 months. I was told that if the tendon failed to self repair they would use synthetic tendon which is what they did. I don't know if it would be the same in your case but you should ask your surgeon. I know its so hard not to worry but I'm sure if it was detrimental to your recovery they would operate asap. Keep your head down and plug on has always been my motto. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks mymaude,i had the same comments about waiting 6 weeks,they did not say about using synthetic ones so thats better than stretchinging them what i was told,it seems it will be ok in the end. thanks again .Mick 
    • Posted

Hi, not clear what you mean by "synthetic tendon" - are you talking about the polyester patch?  I was hoping that one of the three surgeons I have seen would be willing to use the patch to repair my rotator cuff - has it worked well for you?
    • Posted

Hi Graham. My surgeon used a LARS ligament which is an industrial strength polyester fibre thread (polyethylene terephthalate). Apparently it mimics the action of real tendons and is easily accepted by the body and so far so good in my case. I had a fall with my horse at hit the ground hard on the point of my shoulder causing the end of my collar bone to detatch from the acromion joint so they used the LARS to pull it back into place. It has been 7 weeks since the op and physio is hard and slow as i have to be carefull i dont loosen the screws, but it seems to be going well and the surgeon is happy with progress. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.