Open Abdominal Surgery was in June. Questions About Pain After Multiple Surgeries

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have posted here before and asked a question about my hernia post op surgery pain and was provided some feedback by some helpful people.

I am back with another post because I have a couple of more questions. I was looking for a forum topic to place this under that mainly deals with chronic abdominal pain after multiple abdominal surgeries, and I found that the hernia forum was probably the place to post.

Info on me: my most recent surgery was open abdominal hernia surgery to repair what started off as 2 separate hernias, but formed into 1 large one.  I had that surgery in June of this year, and it was done with mesh.

Prior to that, I have had a colon resection in 2015, an emergency surgery 10 days after that one because I opened back up at the resection site... so 2 big open surgeries and then the hernia surgery. I have also had 2 other laproscopic abdominal surgeries within the last few years.

The colon resection and emergency surgery were the main ones that left me with A LOT of scar tissue. Then the hernia surgery in June really added to that.

I have been seeing my surgeon weekly for the past 2 months to have fluid from a seroma drained that formed at the hernia repair site. The fluid build up has really slowed down for the past 2 weeks, thankfully. Since my colon resection in 2015, I have been unable to do a lot of things.  I can hardly walk, it hurts to sit up for more than 10 minutes at a time.  My husband is doing all of the housework, cooking, etc.  The quality of my life stinks. This is no way to live. I am dealing with chronic pain that is made even worse by moving around. 

My surgeon told me Friday that we are getting past the problem of the seroma (fluid build up) and we are looking at chronic pain that is due to all of my major abdominal surgeries.  He said that the scar tissue is causing nerve pain and he wants me to go to my primary doctor to address that issue.  My surgeon wants me to discuss this with my primary and he suggests trying the medication gabapentin for nerve pain. He also wants me to continue taking my tramadol, even though it doesn't help much with the pain.

I called my primary this morning and can't get in for a few weeks.

I would like to know if there are others of you who have had multiple abdominal surgeries that have left you with problems with nerve pain. Has anyone ever tried gabapentin for this? Or what medication do you take, or what other things have helped you with the pain left from surgeries?

My first grandchild is due in early December and I want to drive 2 states over to be with my daughter. Right now I can't even sit up for 15 minutes. I feel hopeless and I don't know what to do about it.

Thank you for listening and for replies.

Shelley 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi mylighthouse , 

I am sorry to hear of all you have had to experience . I also have had multiple surgeries on my abdomen . the worst was from reconstructive surgery after a  double mastectomy . The surgeon took muscle from my abdomen for breast reconstruction . Then botched the abdomen surgery by placing mesh that was too small to cover such a large area . i ended up with a huge hernia . Had more surgery with more mesh to cover the area . I now have numerous adhesions that have attached to my intestines and stomach . My intestines are in a tangled ball from what was described to me by the most recent surgeon that tried to get in to fix my problems . Oh well  , anyway ...I have pain and tightness all the time . I go to a pain clinic for my back so I take Lyrica , Morphine & muscle relaxers . These make life bearable but I am still in pain...some days are better than others . Best of luck to you . These days there is a war on pain patients ..so getting the correct amount of pain relief is not going to happen . I wish I had better news for you . i hope you can find relief from pain .

Peace Linda

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Linda.

I am sorry to hear of your medical troubles. I know that I have adhesions too, I guess they are attributing to my pain. My surgeon said that when he did the hernia surgery he was able to break some of them up. Other than that, he doesn't recommend surgery to me for the adhesions, as he said that they will return and cause pain once again. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. Are you in the UK?  I ask because I am not sure, but I believe that here in the states, doctors don't help us with Morphine. They might for a very short term treatment (maybe a few weeks). Don't quote me on that though. smile  I was on Norco for awhile for the pain, but my doctor wanted me to get off of that after a couple of months post hernia surgery. I have been on Tramadol since I came off of the Norco.  The tramadol really isn't helping much, but it does help a little, so I keep taking it. I take the maximum dosage everyday.  Can't say I'm happy about that, but who wants to suffer?

I am looking into this gabapentin, curious about it. Maybe it will help some. Before he suggested that he thought it might really help me, I felt like there was absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel. Now there is a little hope... maybe. Of course I know that some meds helps some, but they don't help others.

Guess I will just hang in here, it's all we can do.

I hope that you have more of the "better' days in your future.

Shelley

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Linda.   I had double mastectomy in 2011.  Refused your type of surgery and went for implants instead.  No issues at all!!  So sorry to hear you had a botched up surgeon.  So many out there!  😩

• Posted

I have been going through a lot of problems due to a botched hernia surgery 21/2 years ago . Nerve injections are a joke and now the only thing they will try to do is manage my pain . As to your question about gabapentin . I can not take it . I makes me foggy and loopy . I can handle other maxes but have never experienced one like this . I guess all people react differently . But that my experience . Good luck to you 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, Lala.

Yikes, I am sorry to hear about the botched hernia surgery.  I can actually relate to that, as my original (horrible) surgeon really screwed up my colon resection. He was not forthcoming about some serious issues. My current surgeon was on duty when my colon opened up, and he performed the second (emergency) surgery. He was awesome. He also performed my hernia surgery.  I believe he truly cares about me and his patients and he seems to be genuinely concerned about my pain issue and I was so glad when he brought the gabapentin up as a possibility that might help the pain issue.

Other than my husband and doctor, I feel like no one really understands the issues/severe pain that I am going through. It is difficult for decline an invite to dinner because "I can't sit up long".  Just yesterday I had to leave early from my daughter's baby shower and I felt rotten for doing it. But the pain was unbearable. I felt like people were judging me for leaving early. Oh well.

I don't know anything about nerve injections.  That hasn't been suggested to me. Thanks for sharing your experience about the way you reacted to the use of gabapentin.  I agree with you, people react differently to these things.  Maybe the gabapentin will help me some. 

Take care

?Shelley

• Posted

Hi again , I was on Gabapentin for a couple of years 1800 mgs a day . It helped a lot but I was tired...exhausted all the time . I switched to Lyrica & it works much better . I am not nearly as tired..some days I don't even need a nap ! I do live here in the States . I go to a pain clinic for medications . Primary care Doctors are usually very uncomfortable dispensing pain meds...and for good reason . A good pain care management plan can help you with all options available for managing your pain . 

I hope this helps some

• Posted

Thank you Linda, the info you gave was helpful.

My primary doctor might tell me I need to go somewhere else for help with the pain. Glad to know about the pain clinic. I'm definitely hoping that I can get this pain somewhat under control, or at least get some significant relief before my grandchild is born.

Guess we will see what the primary says and then go from there.

Thank you again for the info.

Take care.

Shelley

• Posted

So glad you found a good surgeon. Yes the pain of sitting is unbearable. Especially after a long drive . By the next day I'm in so much pain . Unfortunately I have to d all these things I am a widow with a sixteen year old son so the burden of doing everything is the only option . People do not understand the pain when they see you going places shopping , going places and working two jobs . But I have to do all this things . They have resorted to putting me in pain patches along with my pain meds . I know if I found a surgeon to repair my problem would help . But as I said before no one wants to touch me . I don't have the best ins . So that doesn't help . Good luck to you . 

• Posted

You are a very strong person. I'm sorry that you can't get help through surgery.

After all of the surgeries I hope I never go through another abdominal.

Glad to hear you have the pain patches and pain meds, hope they help you some.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

So sorry to read about  all of your botched-up  surgeries.  I had NO large incision even though 1/3 of stomach was above diaphragm (very large hiatal hernia).  I only had 5 little circles the size of a penny--- glued shut.  Healing fast and no pain--- and I am old.  But I went to cardiothorist instead of Gastrologist.  So sorry for you all!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.