Open Angle Glaucoma and Stress

Posted , 7 users are following.

How does stress affect IOP for Open Angle Glaucoma? Does prolonged stress cause higher pressure and potential damage?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is a question I have put to my eye Docs for years and they say no. My unprofessional opinion says I have seen my pressures higher in times of stress and deep sorrow. I hope someone can follow up with a more scientific answer for you.

• Posted

It has more to do with age like a lot of other afflictions.

• Posted

i think stress is a factor. when im stressed i feel my eyes bulging. although i have narrow angle glaucoma. symptoms (pain) started when i fell pregnant unexpectedly at 26. ive now had glaucoma symptoms for over 20 years.

• Posted

Yes..I think stress, plays a part with IOP ...I have open angle glaucoma ,diagnosed 2years ago...I also suffer with panic disorder...and severe anxiety...my eye pressure is 16 in both eyes...during my last eye test, I had a panic attack...my eye pressure went up to 24...This scared me..so I explained to my eye DR.the situation...He give me another test ,when I calmed down, and they were back down to 16....I also noticed, very blurry vision, if I am stressed...and floaters..

• Posted

thanks for useful information and i also think pressure of eye become increase when we are in stress and not not good sleep.

I had laser in both eyes 3 months ago .So I am also worried about my eye pressure .

• Posted

Thank you , that is very useful information and actual data to support it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.