Open ankle fusion & bone graft rod and 5 screws.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I'm sean I'm a 51 fit and try to be active male . In September last year I went for a open ankle fusion bone graft a steel rod put up through my heal ankle and up into my shin bone and all screwed together with 5 screws I'm over 9 month in and can hardly go anywhere it's bin a horrible op from start to finish I was out ov cast after 7 weeks and in a walker boot for another 7 weeks I have tried to do everything to the book I'm still living on pain killers every day and have only bin of my crutches for about 1 month I still use them on bad days . I've bin back to see my surgeon yesterday who tell me I need to have the top screw taken out ov my shin to allow the last part ov the healing to take place ov which I'm happy to hear . Anybody else had this done and or no ov any results .?? Thanks for reading and keep smiling 😃.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sean, my sympathies! I had an open ankle fusion at end of January this year and was 3 months in plaster, then about 8 weeks on and off with the aircast boot, and now am trying to walk without the boot outside as well as inside, with one crutch for support.   Nearly 5 months on , everything is sore - the muscles/tendons in my foot hurt when I walk and I have associated back and hip pain from being on crutches/ moon boot for so long.  I'm also really taken aback by how hard and slow the recovery is. The only good thing I can say is that there is some very very slow progress. When I look back to a few weeks ago I can see that I'm a bit better now, although still nowhere near 'back to normal' whatever that is or will ever be.  I feel that the surgeons don't tell you enough about what to expect in terms of recovery but I've heard from many people now that it takes 1 year to 18 months to feel happy you had the op done .That feels like a very long time away for me, but I guess we can only hope people are right,  that it all finally settles down and is worth doing in the end.  I think you just have to take it day by day and try to take some satisfaction from each tiny bit of progress, although it's hard.  Good luck, I hope it gets better when you get the screw taken out.  

• Posted

I had my plate and screws taken out just two weeks ago. The surgery was only about 20 min and I was awake. It was only sore for 2-3 day then not that bad. I had 3 days nwb, then partial weight bearing for two weeks. I feel my foot moves better. I get my sutures out in two days then full wb without the boot will begin aided at first then wean off. My original surgery was Dec 16/2016 so not as long as you.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Margie

I'm glad, you are feeling better after having your plates & screws out.

My surgery is set for Fri. June 23th to have my plates & screws out. I'm going to be put to sleep my doctor said. And she is going to do a bone culture on my ankle. I'm scared!!!

I can't wear that booth after, it tears my skin really bad. I dont know what I'm going to do. Did you wear anything else besides that booth? Are you walking now without any aide? I thank you in advance for any tips you may have... Thanks again

Veronica

• Posted

No not walking I have to get sutures out in two days then boot comes off and will begin full wb. You will prob be 2-3 nwb then partial wb with crutches until sutures come out. He'll prob just wrap your foot up good so your lucky you won't have to deal with the boot. It wasn't as bad as the first operation really much easier and not much pain for me. I only took pain meds first two days. I don't know about what the bone culture involves but I'm sure you will do fine. Get someone to help out the first 2-3 days when your non wb and they want you to rest unless they might just keep you in the hospital. Mine was just Day surgery.Good luck!

Keep me posted on your progress!

Margie

• Posted

Margie

Thank you for replying back. Thanks for the infornation, really helpful. I hope everthing goes well for you with your healing!!! We are in it, To Win It! Right???

I will keep you updated. Thanks again

Veronica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.