Open door and panic attack - who's there?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies please help, how do I get past the fear of knowing who is there behind the door. Assault/rape has left me frightened I keep thinking someone is behind the door. I have ptsd through assault and don't know how to cope any more. Counsellor knows and my doctor too. Just feel jumpy! How do I stop my mind racing?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sam

If you are having treatment they will try and de-sensitize your fears, one way they will try and get you used to answer the door.

There are aids like keyhole viewers that allow you to see who is outside, you can also prchase quite reasonable cameras you can set overlooking your doors, yo plug them into a television screen and yo can watch who wants to be in etc. These cameras can be incorporated into a domestic alarm system. this will keep you informed what is outside. You can also have panic buttons either around your neck of on the wall in the livingroom, bedroom and passageway. Discus your needs with your CPN, they may be able to help with installation

BOB

• Posted

Thank you forgot about those things can't ask cpn don't have one!

• Posted

Sorry borderriver forgot I can ask counsellor though after all that's her job and she knows about this too.  Thanks I'll try this instead!

• Posted

Hi Sam18386

I have read some of your posts here. Maybe you want to take up some hobbies, exercise or make yourself engage with work etc coz you will be focusing on what you are doing now instead of having flashback etc of what have happened. I know is not easy but we must tell ourselves to move on. And if we keep thinking of what have happened, we won't be able to walk out of the darkness. I myself have been scammed last year March and I am bankrupt and also in debt, all thanks to the scammer. Not only I am financially lost and also emotionally hurt. But I tell myself maybe is karma to me, maybe this is what have already being plan to happen to me, maybe God want me to experience the pain to lose all my money and rebuild again, this is really a very expensive lesson to me. Nevertheless I tell myself I have to walk out from the darkness and move on. No point keep thinking of what have happened though sometime I still have flashback of the scammer talking and convincing me to transfer money to him. Sam18386, I believe you are able to walk out of the darkness and move on. smile 

• Posted

I Stella, I have tried pilates, walking, keeping busy daily, deep breathing and am having counselling but with ptsd you occasionally can't stop the flashbacks due to the nature of the condition I don't know what else I can do this is ripping me apart, hence the counselling which is specific.

• Posted

The other problem is the flashbacks are late at night when people aren't around, it's hard to do a hobby at 2am for instance!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.