Open Heart Surgery

Posted , 30 users are following.

2 weeks ago I had extensive tests done on my heart and was told I would need open heart surgery to repair hole they have found. I never thought at this time of life I would need to have an operation like this. Has anyone had any heart problems or had an operation? If so please let me know how you are doing.

thank you

linda

3 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I had 3 way by pass at 53, did not know I was so ill. Until I had a angiogram that showed all arteries where blocked. Once found I was  operated on within 3 weeks. Stayed with a friend for a week then look after myself. It was all UP HILL. You will NOT know very much for a couple of days after op, do NOT worry you may remember things as if they where DREAMS.

ALL the best.

• Posted

My head and memory was clear from the moment I came round although one of the other two in ICU was quite delirious. I was amazed at how well I felt.
    • Posted

I THINK I thanked someone the ceiling looked silver.

On way to ward remember a machine attached to the bed as I was going down hill to the ward.

The nurses where fantastic. Struggled on my own after OP. Before OP Surgeon said I may need another in ten years. Got one and half to go. Hope do not have another, watched video of heart surgery WOW heart & lungs stopped. 

• Posted

I watched it on Youtube before having the operation. I was told the valve can last for up to 12/15 years.

• Posted

Hi david thanls for your kind words. It is the shock of how ill you are when you are faced with this.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I have very high blood pressure & hypertysion keep taking the tablets. Mr John Chalmers DID my 3 way by pass. The nite before OP 2 very young nurse`s pulled the curtains said ( undress young ladies  they shaved me from feet to chest ). Was not told about this,   you are know, Relax they chat to you what every you want to say matter of fact. Where are you having the OP done ??

• Posted

Lucky old you! I had to shave myself. They said if the surgeon found one hair on my chest he would send me back to the ward.

Linda will probably get two nice young men to do her.

• Posted

Hi David having op done in Royal Brompton. Thanks for your info..
    • Posted

Hi Linda. I was diagnosed with a hole in the heart which needs open heart surgery last June and have just had the pre op assessment, so waiting imminently for a date for the procedure. My surgeon is going to attempt to repair it through the side ribs instead of opening the middle. So I have to wait for 2 surgeons to be available in case it changes! Good luck with yours.
    • Posted

Hi whisper all the best with you op. I was not given oppurtunity to have via side maybe that will change..
    • Posted

I think my cardiologist referred me to this particular surgeon as I was being particularly difficult and refused his advice saying I've had this hole for 60 years, why operate now! I was just really scared and was persuaded otherwise!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.