Open incisional hernia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm waiting to go in for open surgery to repair a midline abdominal incisional hernia. I have had it for 4 years and it is causing lots of problems I'm told it's a complicated one as it starts just under my ribs and I have multiple defects in the abdominal wall. I have lost a lot of weight to bring my bmi down and try to help myself as much as possible before surgery. What I want to know is how long did you all stay in hospital for following this type of procedure and I'd just really like to hear everything about ypur experience around this surgery? Many thanks

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone today is the day I'm absolutely terrified about what's going to happen I will be heading to the hospital at 6.30 and just feel so anxious I could be waiting all day to depending on where I am on the list and il be stuck on my own from the minute I arrive as family or my husband are not allowed to wait. I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing but then I was doubled over again last night and think planned surgery has to be better than emergency surely. Anyway il update asap xxxx

• Posted

You will be fine, Vicky. Perhaps once you are in the hospital they can give you something for your nerves. I know you will come through this well. They know what they are doing. 

Here is something to lighten up your morning.  My second day in the hospital I was on clear liquid food. The hospital gave my husband a nice salmon dinner with potatoe and veggies. He ate it all and the real was still in my room. My Colorectal surgeon walked in.  My husband told him I did well and ate my entire salmon dinner. His eyes got so big.  The look on his face was priceless. My husband scared him to death. Doctor look on face....priceless. 

No no fear when God is here!

Let us know how you do. 

• Posted

Hi ladies hope your all well? I had my surgery on Wednesday was in theatre just over 4 hrs I came round in a lot of pain which was quickly sorted out. I also have 3 drains a catheter and a drip I won't lie it's been a very rough few days with pain hot flushes and sickness I've had to have 3 diffrent types on antisickness including iv and various pain Meds it's feels like my st9mach is much to full they did an xray that showed lots of gas so they encouraged me to walk which I did and gave me latulose this has decided to be very over effective and I have been up and down all night to the loo. I've not eaten since Wednesday as I just can't manage it i hope it gets easier everyone 😷😪

• Posted

Hello Vicky,

Good to hear that you are up and about, painful I know, but better for your recovery.  I think once the gas has dispersed you will feel much better.  I was constipated for a week and it was an awful experience, I couldn't eat either and felt sick, but once that was sorted out I felt much better and my appetite returned.  I'm sure you too will feel an improvement.  You've been through a lot, it does take time, the first couple of weeks were difficult for me. 

• Posted

Hi /vicky glad to hear the worst bit is over, well done.  I gave up on all the meds, as the anti sickness drugs made me worse, the painkillers made me sick, didnt have lactolose.  Just a drip and the antibiotics were put directly into the wound by my surgeon, with 4 drains to take them away.  I dont recommend not having painkillers, its just that I brought them striaght back up so no point for me, good idea if you can tolerate them.  Getting better for me was a slow painful process, but from what I have read many people recover far more quicklythan me.  Rest as much as possible, i wish you a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Hi Vicky, this sounds horrible, but you do know it will get better soon.....baby steps everyday.  What they all told me is walking gets your system moving quicker so you have to keep walking.  The doc should have also given you stool softeners. It took 5 days for my bowls to move and felt like I was exploding. 

So I am in California.  I find it interesting that you all had drains.  After my first surgery in the Azores from a ruptured appendix and sepsis, I had a catheter, side drain and nose drain.  I had no drains in either surgery in U.S.  My last surgery on May 24 was 5 hours both open and lapriscopic inserting a large mesh.  Instead of drains, they put you in a binding to keep the fluids down. I wore this day and night for about 10 days.  Then I wear it only in the day for both support and fluid buildup for another 10 days. It appears both can work. 

So I am much better now.....6 months later.  I never thought I would really get better.  No ab pain but still feel semiobstruction issues from scar tissue. I hope this will pass as well.

the other issue is weak ab muscles.  That made my osteoarthritis much worse in my back. The back spasms were horrendous. The MRI Scan show extremely weak muscles in the back. I am on medication and working with a trainer for back strengthening along with a steroid injection in my back.  It is better. 

We just can't sit around for as long as necessary without other issues setting in. 

Vicky, the worst in behind you.  Yes there will be many rough days still too come so do something creative.  I knitted and did a lot of Ancestry research. I too am English and Scottish. From the Kent area and Lenark, in the Glasgow area. 

Take care, Vicky and keep in touch. 

• Posted

Hi everyone I am now at home after 9 days only because the surgeon agreed being in hospital wasn't helping as I was getting no sleep and getting quite stressed she agreed to let me home with open access to the ward and an understanding that if things don't improve I will go back. I also have to see my gp tomorrow and Thursday to get my blood pressure checked as it's causing concern it's been around 95/66 so quiet low really. I also have a urine infection so have to get that checked again tomorrow as it still hasn't settled. I am still extremely sore and find its causing me pain in my back when I'm walking/standing? I keep telling myself it's still early days sorry to go on hope your all ok? Xx

• Posted

This sounds like a slow recovery, but when I thought I would never get better, I finally did. Yes, it took 6 months, but better does happen. 
  • Posted

Hi Vicky gald to hear you are home much better place to recover.  In my experience it does take much longer than the 5 weeks the medics talk about to recover from a hernia repair.  It took me months, so very early days for you, but sounds like you still need medical assistance with your infection and concerns for your bolld pressure.  Do take care and hope all settles down for you.  
  • Posted

Hi everyone thought I'd stop by and give an update hope your all well. Things are not going great I've been on antibiotics for 3 weeks as I have a kidney infection that doesn't want to go. I'm also still very sore and bruised from the op itself and have a very odd thing happening. Where I had a drain keeps puffing up as the day goes on then becomes tender to touch but twice now when I've got up the next day the area has almost sucked in and left an indent but then through the day blown back up and now it just seems to stay as a lump by where the drain was? Also my blood pressure is still low I'm finding it tough right now as feel the hospital have just sent me home an left me to it they knew I had a infection an didn't treat it that's why my gp is struggling to get rid of it I'm very lucky my gp is good. Hope to feel more like myself soon x

• Posted

I am sooo sorry, Vicky, that you aren't doing better. For the swelling around the drain area, why don't you try a binding. As I said before, in the U.S. drains aren't used as much.  Binding is used instead to keep the fluids down. This seems to work. I wore a binding all the time for 1 month then just when up and around for another 2 weeks. This keeps everything in place and the support make it easier to get around. 

Remember, it took me 6 months to get better completely and even then I still suffer from scar tissue. You too will improve in time. Keep the faith. 

• Posted

Hi Vicky so sorry to hear about your complications,  it is a difficult time anyway just after surgery even if everything is straightforward.  Hope you have people around you to help, it does take a long while to recover, rest as much as you can and take care.  
  • Posted

Hi everyone Happy new year to you all hope you had a lovely Christmas. I ended up at the local walk in centre xmas eve with a kidney infection again I have had it since 14th November and been on antibiotics since 21st November I now have an urgent appointment with a urologist on Thursday to see what's going on. On top of that I've not had my 6 week post op check as she's running behind I still have a bulge where drain was and since I've been doing more my pain has increased and I feel like I have a twisting pain on the left part of my tummy I'm scared it's another hernia but until I see surgeon nobody can tell me what's normal or not it's so frustrating x

• Posted

Remember, Vicky.  It take a long, long time to fully heal. I remember lots of on again, off again pains. I felt like they would never go away, but they do.  

'I am dealing now with adhesions from scar tissue around mid line. I don't want to go to the ER as I know I will get the dreaded NG tube up the nose. I am eating very little and am losing weight. That part isn't bad. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear your suffering with adhesions they are a nightmare I had to have some resolved during surgery a few years ago as my spleen, liver and pancreas were stuck together I really do feel for you. How are things now? You take care x

• Posted

Well, Vicky, some days are better than others.  My doctor has me off all fiber.  I haven't has raw fruits or veggies since 12/28.  It keeps the issue at a dull roar.  Sometimes when I eat a small cup of soup though, I get so bloated. Tomorrow I go in for a contrast X-ray where I drink the Berium. My colorectal surgeon wants to know where the partial blockage is.  So I asked him, when we find that out what happens.  He said surgery.  I sure hope not. I have already had three surgeries between spring 2015 and spring 2016 along with another hospital stay for an obstruction.  I don't want another surgery but I know I need to get this solved.  

In the mean time I am also dealing with squamous cell carcinoma on my lip.  I will soon have Mohs surgery for this.  I am fair but also wonder if 2 weeks of IV antibiotics in the Azores after my appendix rupture surgery has altered my immune system.  This is life in my 60's. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.