Open incisional hernia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm waiting to go in for open surgery to repair a midline abdominal incisional hernia. I have had it for 4 years and it is causing lots of problems I'm told it's a complicated one as it starts just under my ribs and I have multiple defects in the abdominal wall. I have lost a lot of weight to bring my bmi down and try to help myself as much as possible before surgery. What I want to know is how long did you all stay in hospital for following this type of procedure and I'd just really like to hear everything about ypur experience around this surgery? Many thanks

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vicky I think hernia disease is not easy to resolve, and healing does take a long time.  take care
  • Posted

Hi everyone I'm still plodding along I am finally seeing my surgeon for a post op check tomorrow I feel such a wuss saying what pain I have but I can't move around freely and things just don't feel right I know I'm going to have to try and be direct but I always feel they are thinking we've done operation I should be grateful and just get on with it. If I don't tell them though il never know if how I'm feeling is normal or not. I will let you know how my appointment goes hope your all ok x

• Posted

Just speak up Vicky.  It took 6 months for me to get better.  The doctor told me it would take 6 months and it did.  My colorectal surgeon is the best.  I can email him anytime and he will get back to me within the day.
  • Posted

Hi everyone how are you all? I have had some complications along the way following surgery but on Friday I went for a say procedure for another problem anyway I started with pain in my tummy burning up an almost passed out before I'd even had anything done we pit it down to my other issues. However only time I'd had this before was with hernia pain. I kept getting pain so decided to examine my tummy and low and behold I have a lump popping out when I lie down and cough it's quite big not in the same place as before but next to my tummy button just under it a bit I'm devastated an at a loss now has anyone had a similar experience another hernia? Please help

• Posted

Hi Vicky,  I wondered how you were doing.  I am so sorry you are having these issues.  You may remember that my first incesional hernia surgery was without mesh and within two months I had an even larger surgery.  Did they use a mesh in your surgery.  It should have held and prevented additional hernias.  It would appear that you have another hernia.  What a bummer.  

My mesh surgery is holding very well.  I have ad issues from the 2 weeks of IV antibiotics after my hernia rupture surgery.  I now have SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth).  I am just finishing Xifaxin which is a antibiotic that just focuses on the gut.  It is working pretty well.  

I will get a small twinge now and then from my mesh but it isn't bad at all.

Get in to see your Doc real soon and take care.

• Posted

Hi Judith thank you for your reply I hope you continue to improve day by day x I had mesh put in when I had the op in Novemberhowrver this hernia is below where the mesh was put just on the right side underneath part of my belly button I lie down and it's visible and I cough and it's there it's causing pain it's about the size of a satsuma at least already. I'm seeing gp tomorrow morning x

• Posted

Oh dear....it looks like you just have a new spot.  Perhaps the surgeon should have used a larger mesh....who knows.  I certainly am not the doctor. I am sure that is driving you crazy looking forward to another surgery.  I am suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from all of my surgeries.  I get going and get slapped down again ad again, so I do get your stress.  It is indeed a bugger.  

Take care of yourself and reach out anytime Vicky!  I will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi Judith how are you doing? I finally saw my surgeon this week and it is as i feared another hernia that needs operating on she's going to get it done early December so not to far away but I'm so stressed about going through it all again it took so long to get Vetter last time it certainly takes longer than they say. This hernia is lower down so almost behind my belly button and round it. I hope you are ok would love to hear from you best wishes from Vicky xx

• Posted

Hi Judith how are you? I'm due to go in on the 5th December I'm dreading it x

• Posted

So how did your surgery go. I have an incisional hernia. Three years ago I had a fistula repair and ileostomy reversal. I'm scared of surgery for fear of reliving what I've just been thru. Would love to hear about your experience

• Posted

Hi Jan my hernia repair went ok the recovery was long and unfortunately I'm having to go back in for further surgery in a few weeks. I like you had some pretty awful surgery before this and I was terrified although it's painful I was out after 5 days and it's just a case of listening to your body. My next repair is the 5th December please feel free to ask anything all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.