Open Inguinal Hernia Repair with mesh. Hard swelling under incision.

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had open Inguinal Hernia surgery with mesh done last Thursday. Most of the bruising and swelling has went away besides where the incision was made. It is a hard lump right underneath the incision that sticks out pretty far. My hernia had no lump, so I'm not familiar with what a lump from an inguinal hernia looks like, but I'm assuming it looks like this without the hard feeling. Is this normal nine days after the surgery? I can't talk to the doctor until Monday and it's kind of freaking me out. I have been feeling better day by day, and have been icing it daily, so it just seems weird to have this much swelling right there. 

Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello. On May 15, 2018 I had a Ventral Hernia laprascopic surgery done, I now have hard know where the hernia once was that is tender and sore most times. This has me worried because in June I went to see the surgeon regarding this, she assumed it was fluids so she numbed me and tried to drain it but nothing but blood came out. So she sent me for a ct scan, days later she called stating there is no hernia, and that it looks like it's just scar tissue with a very small amount of fluid and asked me to give it a few weeks to see if the lump goes completely away. I gave it over a month, went to see her yesterday and she has scheduled me for surgery for 7/27/18. Should I be concerned? She didn't seem too sure of what is going on, she kept saying it looks like it's scar tissue. I'm just scared something will go wrong. I attempted to call another surgeon today for a second opinion but was told he couldn't see me because I'm still within the 90 day global period of having my surgery done. Can someone please help ease my mind or help point me in the right direction.

• Posted

hello Wendy, I’m curious What ended up happening and how your follow up surgery went? I have the same hard lump but hopefully mine will go away. John

• Posted

Hello Juan. I followed through with the surgery and the hard lump has been removed. I still experience pain in that area from time to time but not as bad as it was before. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Wendy, thank you for the quick reply did they happen to tell you what the hard lump was? Just curious I’m glad you’re feeling better. I’m assuming there’s no lump this time around

• Posted

They said it was scar tissue with a small amount of fat. The lump is completely gone.

• Posted

Christopher,

I just had an inguinal hernia repair two weeks ago although mine was laparoscopic. The first four days everything was painful but progressing nicely and then somewhere between the fifth and sixth day I develop that very hard lump about the size of an olive or half a finger in the area where the hernia was repaired. Reading your post has made me feel better after having serious concerns. Now that it’s been a couple years for you has your hard lump completely gone away or is it still there somewhat? Thank you much for your previous post and for any information you can provide. Regards, John

• Posted

I just wanted to give an update it’s been two months since my surgery and a hard lump at the site of the surgery that was the size of half a finger has slowly reduced. It’s currently about the size of a Pea. I’m not sure if that will totally go away or not I am very happy that I don’t have that large lump under there anymore. Most if not all of the pain has gone away and I’m starting to return to full activity. I hike often so I’ve been taking that slowly. If you have this hard lump I say just give it some time. After two months you should know if you need a revision surgery or not. At least that’s my experience. Good luck everyone

• Posted

Hi. I had an open inguinal hernia surgery with mesh a week back and felt a lump at the site of surgery 5-6 days post operation. Please could you shed light on whether this is normal? It doesn't pain as such. i had reducible hernia so intially before surgery, when i lie down my hernia lump used to go inside abdomen and come back while standing up. This post surgery lump is different. It doesn't go back. Its a firm lump on the site of operation which doesn't pain as such. Though, i sometimes feel pain while sleeping in or getting up but occasionally. Please let me know if this is normal like healing or scar tissues? And I hope I shouldn't be worried that my hernia has reoccurred?

• Posted

Your situation sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Mine has pretty much resolved itself in terms of the hard lump. I’m left with a very small hard lump at the side of the surgery and I’m hopeful that it will completely disappear in time. Hopefully by now you’re experiencing some reduction in the hard lump?

• Posted

hi chris ,has the lump gone down totally, because today is my 13th day of open inguinal hernia surgery and i have same lump

• Posted

i see this is many years ago if by chance you get this , I too have hard lump under my inguinal hernia surgery incision I am wondering how you made out and if ans when it went away

• Posted

Hi! Well "I feel your pain" On Oct 23rd, 2023 I had an inguinal hernia which was open surgery. My first three days were scary. I had extreme purple bruises and balls were swelling and penis almost disappeared.

After the 4th day it magically healed really fast and then went away almost as quick as it came. My pain was minimal using only 2 pills of Tramadol and Ibuprophen .

The so called "ridge" is still here and it has been a month now, but I still have a large lump beneath the incision which is kind of scary but from what others have experienced, it can take many months for the swelling to completely go away. I still feel some pain when I rub the wound and sometimes when I lean forward in a chair it hurts a little. I am 83, so what can I expect! Hope this is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.