Open Myo st for Dec. 12 2018

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

After understanding that I needed surgery in September 2018. I went on a search to find a skilled doctor for open mymo because I did not qualify for a laparoscopic myo and I wanted to preserve fertility as much as possible (less confident and skilled doctors told me I needed a hysterectomy). I was called last week for the surgery date and I have my re-op appointment 11/27/18 and surgery set for Dec. 12, 2018.

My question is is there anything preparation wise that helped with your open mymomecty and what could I expect the first few days after coming home from the hospital?

Also I found these panties on Amazon. Has anyone used these (or was recommended) or anyone used any special to help with swelling?image

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Goodluck Eeka.

Compression underwear: I found this one I really liked the one below by Nouvelle Inc. It has two zippers in front. ANytime I got tired it would not be hard to peel off my body because of the zippers. THe zippers also do not show through my clothes.

Preparation: Ask your physician questions about the procedure itself - what they do to prevent bleeding, how they remove the fibroid (I still remember my doctor telling me about his onion peeling technique), how often they plan to meet with you post-surgery. I also asked for pictures of all my fibroids when they have been removed. THis is a very gratifying picture I have to tell you. You may also want to ask about what to expect with your periods thereafter. It gets a bit erratic before it starts normalizing. That will help you not panic when things start happening. FOr example, I had a very heavy bleed with my second period. The first post-survery period was literally barely there. The subsequent periods were smaller in volume.

• Posted

Thank you for the guidance I really appreciate it!

• Posted

Hi,

I had two open myomectomies. I would definitely recommend buying those! I didn't for my first one because the doctor never really told me anything, but once I was home from the hospital I had my husband running to the store to get "granny panties", haha. I would also recommend a very loose fitting nightgown. I thought that the loose fitting pajama pants that I had would be fine, but I felt really uncomfortable with anything around my waist. I wore nightgowns for the first week at least.

As for what to expect, I found the hardest part to be that first week. You don't realize how much you use your stomach muscles and just little things (sitting upright, standing up to shower, etc.) use stomach muscles. I didn't find it unbearable though and the good part is that once you're in recovery (as long as there are no major issues) it can only get better as time goes on. I thought the anticipation/fear leading up to the surgery was worse than the actual recovery.

My best advice would be to be as active as it is medically safe to! When I was in the hospital still, the nurses would recommend getting out of the hospital bed every two hours. I was always getting out of bed, as painful as it was, and just walking up and down the hospital halls. When I went home, I would start out just walking a block or two and then slowly increase as was safe. That really, really helped in my recovery.

I did also find it helpful to have someone there with me for at least the first two days after coming home from the hospital.

I hope all goes well!

• Posted

I think the fear /anticipation is driving me crazy right now because I don't know what it's all going to feel like. The more I know, the less I feel like I'll freak out when the unexpected happens. I really appreciate your response!

• Posted

i had same experience with 2 doc telling me i would need a hysterectomy because surgery would result in to much bleeding. 3rd doc was confident he could perform myomectomy. the first 2 weeks were the hardest. saying that after day 3 i stopped taking serious pain meds & used pandol forte. i didnt not awake from surgery in pain as i had bith a spinal tap & general. i had ab added complication due to a fibroid inside my uterine cavity that was nit identified until weeks after surgery that caused ongoing cramping pain & bleeding, had it nit been for that i would have been fine after 5 weeks. by the end of week 4 mobility is much improved & i didnt have to worry about lying on side when sleeping. i would recommend stocking up in high wasted underwear so that it does not lie on incision line. also i bought shirt sleeve nighties for hospital as nursing staff have to check scar regularly and it provides easy access & does not dig into stomach

• Posted

Was the spinal tap something you asked for or they recommended? I will definitely invest in high waisted underwear and nightgowns. Thank you very much for your response!

• Posted

the anethetist said it was an option when i expressed my fear of the pain & my likelihood to become very anxious. i think he judged my levels of anxiety, & suggested it. he told me i would wake to be numb from the nipples down, he told me it was up to me. i wasnt sure but he said i think good option for you so i went with it. spinal taps are obviously used for c-sections & its the same cut for myomectomy. when i woke i didnt feel numb at all but i had zero pain which i was over the moon about as i had read things on internet saying pain would be really bad. i had previously had minor ops (hystroscopy) & had woken in pain so was imagining it to be far worse given major op. i was also told i would have a very large cut & again thought more pain given the size but it didnt end up being as large as first thought.

• Posted

i was very relieved i had spinal tap when i woke post surgery. i was aprehensive about the sensation of being numb but i didnt really experience any odd feeling. the numbness must have been lower down my waist or worn off. the woman in the recovery bed next to me was moaning in pain, & i was so relieved it wasnt me! however i dont know what gynecological proceedure she had

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.