Open Myomectomy

Posted , 81 users are following.

I am just over 4 weeks post open myomectomy and was wondering how others have recovered. The scar is still swollen and sore which I expected however at times I get what I can only describe as sharp "stabbing" pains. These seem to be more from inside my body rather than from the scar. Is this normal? I'm not due to see my GP for another week so just wanted to check with others who may have gone through the procedure.

3 likes, 141 replies

141 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been really good to read your experiences of surgery. I'm waiting for my consultant appointment to see what surgery I have have on a large 11cm intramural fibroid plus a few others. Did any of you have heavy periods before the surgery due to the fib's and how has the bleeding been post surgery. Thanks ladies !
    • Posted

Hi 2fibroidy, 

Strangely my symptoms included initially late periods and then my period stopping, the consultant thinks it was my body's way of protecting itself. I am a bit of a mystery. 

Prior to this though my periods were manageable (slightly on the heavier dude I guess) and generally lasted 6/7 days. Post surgery, my period was only 3 days, so wasn't even sure if it could be considered a period. Apparently everything is working ok and that seems to be it according to the consultant. Guess I can't complain about that. My periods are definately much lighter than before. So good news I guess. 

• Posted

Heavier side sorry not dude! lol, auto spell x x

• Posted

lol. my periods are totally unmanagable at the moment - flooding, leaking, clotting ! so good to hear you are lighter then before !
    • Posted

From what I have read, most people seem to report good results. Less heavy periods. 

Just so you know (although I don't know if you are private, I wasn't).  2 operations (1 emergency) lots of trips to hospital, I never once saw the consultant. I tended to see nurses or students and registrars. Have my post op follow up last week and was the first time I was actually able to talk to the consultant. Also take someone along for moral support, you may need it. My first ever appointment I didn't and I really needed it x x 

• Posted

Thanks Bek. at the moment i am on the NHS route, have my 1st gynae appointment next month (not even sure if it is with a consultant, probably just a registrar). I've already had one emergency admission for a blood transfusion that I went on my own to, that was scary enough , but this next appointment will take hubby.
    • Posted

Hi fibroidy

What surgery did you opt for in the end?  I think i had at least 8 fibroids.  Knew i had them but nobody told me to keep an eye on tehm as they were discovered during a scan just before i had a miscarriage.  So 6 years later i suddenly had a period that lasted 7 weeks.  Went to GP who referred me to the hospital. My periods since then have lasted 3-4 months at a time and have been horrendously heavy with clots and flooding.  Afffected my job as a physio because i could not lift anything.  Was put on provera but coz of the high doses needed to stop the bleeding the side effects were bad.  Thankfully i came across an awesome surgeon.  He put me on Esmya for 3 months and now i am 5 weeks post op.  Due to excessive bleeding  he only removed the 4 largest fibroids.  Not sure how many remain but i will ask at my follow up in 2 weeks

• Posted

hi velbim. i had a course of esmya and then a myomectomy in march 2015. They were unable to remove the fibs as they were embeeded into the uterus. Just completed another esmya course and find they shrink when on them but as soon as i stop, they grow again. Have an appointment next week for a scan to see how many there are now. Still bleeding/flooding/clotting, but luckily just for 2 days but still gets in the way of life. another myomectomy is not an option and only been offered a hysterectomy. what surgery did you have?
    • Posted

just saw your other post, vertical incision, wow. but thats great they removed 4 big  ones, at least this should make some difference
    • Posted

Wow😲 3 days?? My periods last 1 week to 2 weeks. Since I've been taking birth controll pills its its like 3 weeks but it's just like spotting. But these last 2 weeks i feel like the pills are not working . Last week i had 2 days horrible cramping and bleeding felt like my fibriods were twisting and it would get very hard. I could never feel my fibriod but when it gets lime that i can feel it my stomach gets so hard. Than days later it happend again first the bleesing than the horrilbe pains for 2 days again😔😕🤧😢😢😢😢. Its happend like 4 times already. I dont know what to do. Dont eont to go to the emergency room and have to wait 2-5 hours to be seen. It usually last 4 hours. Sorry about my rant. Hopefully gos well bless me with 3 days and no heavy bleeding🙏🏾🙏🏾. Good luck!

• Posted

Now 10 weeks post op and belly very itchy. Is this normal? 
  • Posted

Hi ffion28

I'm 5 weeks, 3 days now. My scar is still abit swollen above my incision and I get stabbing pains too sometimes like period pains especialy when I stress myself too much. Don't worry it will go away. You can take paracetamol or ibubrofen when you feel d pains n lie down. Also be doing exercise like taking a walk.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I'm now 4 months post op and feeling much better. Thank you for taking the time to give advice though. Hope the pain improves for you. 

• Posted

Wow! I'm happy to hear this. I can't wait to get to that stage. I'm six weks gone yesterday. I've been having light spotting that comes and goes but I guess its the depo provera my doc gave me before the surgery to stop my bleeding then. I'm hoping time will fly fast cos I want to conceive as soon as I'm giving a go ahead by my doc.
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks post op from my second open myomectomy in 7 years. This time was a lot easier than the first one. I had a horizontal cut both times.
    • Posted

Second in 7 years? I presume more had just developed in that 7 year period since your first operation. Did you have many removed the second time?
    • Posted

I had a lot of small ones within the uterus wall. My doctor was concerned because she's seen more cases of cancer developing from fibroids. A woman who was next to me in pre op was on her 4th surgery. The recovery was a lot easier this time though. Maybe because I knew what to expect. It's been 3 months and I still feel little twinches of pain especially when I'm stretching.
    • Posted

God once was enough for me. 4 times is a bit much. I suppose though you're right, I'd know what to expect if I had to do it again. I'm coming up on 3 weeks post op on Tuesday. The sensation in my stomach is weird. I'm hoping it goes and soon! Apart from getting some sharp stabbing pains I seem to be good.
    • Posted

I had a 6 month course of hormone injections to take menopause to shrink a very large 12cm fibroid that had stretched my urinary pipe flat against it stopping all urination and was catheterised for a long time. I finally had uterine artery embolisatoon 2yrs ago to starve the fibroid of its blood supply and it was successful. However, in Feb this year I felt something wasn't right and made my go arrange a scan. It showed up 3 new fibroids so I went private and had an open abdominal myomectomy 12 weeks ago with a 8inch horizontal c section scar and they removed 5 fibroids during the op. I had them outside the womb, in the uterine wall and internally! I was recovering really well until I went back to my full time desk job where I am developing bruising around the scar that I had previously not really had post op. I got away with some slight greenish bruising for the first few weeks but now I have red blue purple bruising and it aches nearly constantly. Did you have this issue or anything similar?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.