Open myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I just had surgery done on Fri April first. 4 days ago. Today (will be) tuesday. Wat was supposed to be a quick, easy surgery requiring the 3 small holes in the uterus to take out fibroids w possibly an inch incision if they cudnt take it out, they opened up "a can of worms" and had to cut a 6 inch incision horizontal "c-section" at the bikini line to get fibroids and endometriosis taken out while manipulating the bladder and filling the stomach up w gas so they can see everything. Recuperation was originally supposed to be 2 weeks but has been changed to 6 weeks w post follow up in 3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similarb"procedure" done, what I can expect in the next "6 weeks" and how going back to work will be like. My part time day job-25 hrs a week is an easy non stressful behind the desk answering calls and at the computer. My 40 hr week FT is more physical, working in a laboratory, living heavy items up to 50lbs, LOTS of standing in one place, and if there is sitting, its a stool. Please help me out. I'm 33, 5'5, 123 lbs. I'm not a big girl, but not too skinny either, toned. Thanks for any help/advice!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Albrin, I haven't had a myomectomy but I had a large ovarian cyst removed when I was about 35, similar problem, was supposed to be a small incision but the cyst was tangled with the Fallopian tubes and when I woke up I too had a 6 inch incision at my bikini line, which wasn't even stitched! The surgeon said it would heal with minimal scarring that way, and he was right. I was feeling fairly normal in a couple of weeks and went back to work I think in 3 weeks. My job was IT related and fairly sedentary though. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hi

I had a opp in December to remover fibroids bikini line incision also. You will need to wait at least 6 weeks before u can return to work. You will not be able to lift anything heavy. You will feel tierd quickly. You need to listen to ur body. Take things very slowly. It takes time to recover and you cannot drive.

Get well soon

• Posted

You will need to follow the advice you have been given of 6 weeks off. Open Myomectomy is considered major surgery and your body will need the time to recover fully. I had one in January and started feeling stronger 3 weeks later but it was not until 6 weeks that I was ready to go back to gym or carry anything heavy or full time work.  Take it easy, do short walks, follow any physio exercises given by hospital, get help from others, have naps, don't lift heavy items, eat a balanced diet and good quality protein. You will start feeling stronger each week. All the best with your recovery.
    • Posted

This helps! Thank you. I didn't consider this to be "major surgery" but I was kept telling that it was, so I'm accepting it. Everyone tells me that I look good and moving around well, considering. But that's wen I have 5mgs in me! Lol

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.