Open Myomectomy - how long until I can go back to desk job?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm in my late 20's and I have an open myomectomy scheduled in the near future to remove a 10cm fibroid. I've heard the recovery can take 4-6 weeks, but I work in an office and would be able to modify my duties so that most of my day is at my computer. Has anyone here had a similar situation? Would it be possible to go back to work after a couple weeks?

I've seen a lot of people say to not go back too early, but a lot of those were teachers and dance instructors, etc. I can't take any more time off than is necessary due to finances. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi NaomiLynn,

I too had an open myomectomy vertical incision 5 weeks ago. You will definitely need several weeks to rest and heal yourself. Remember, this is a major surgery and you will most likely not feel up to going to work even if it's sitting at a desk. I'm allowing myself 8 weeks before going back to work and when I do, it'll be light duty . I understand the importance of working however, this time will be for you to heal. 5-6 weeks is the minimum in my opinion. Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hey I had a open myo 4.5 weeks ago if it's a desk job I would say you can go to work in 4 weeks time the earliest that's just base on I was feeling a month after

• Posted

Hi NaomiLynn,

I went back 6 weeks to the day of my op (veritcl incision) and knew that it was just before an Easter bank holiday so it was a kind of a phased return. It was difficult and I needed to adjust my chair to be comfortable. I ached in the evenings - even though it was just a desk job.

I think if you're fit, young and have a horizontal/bikini incision then you're going back (if you have a straightoforward recovery) after 4 weeks might be feasible. Only taking a couple of weeks off might not be the best thing. You may end up taking off more time anyway, later on.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hello, I am 26 and had an open myomectomy via bikini line incision 5 weeks ago. I had multiple fibroids and the womb wall had to be open, and have been signed off for 8 weeks. When I had my pre assessment appointment the nurse said it was their hospital policy to sign people off for 8 weeks minimum for an open myomectomy. Some people get signed off for a further 4 weeks.

Personally I could not return to work after 4-6 weeks but I suppose it depends on type of fibroid, incision, job etc.

• Posted

From my personal experience, I'd say it'd be impossible to start work at 4 weeks. I personally think the whole 4-6 week thing is extremely disingenuous. It's a long recovery process and i could barely sit at 4 weeks talkless of work. So give yourself at least 6 weeks if you can. If not, I've heard the human body is extremely resilient... Hope it works out for you.

• Posted

Naomi,

Instead of an open abdominal incision, they should be able to debulk or morcellate the uterus and or fibroids within a bag right inside of the abdomen laproscopically OR at worse, make the incision in the vagina to remove. Why would they need to open your abdomen? If they are internal, they could remove them hysteroscopically with NO incisions at all (scope goes through cervix into uterus). If outside, they should be able to morcellate in the bag as I mentioned above. 

I refuse to let anyone cut my abdomen open. I don't like the way they have to cut through the muscles, the recovery time and the way that it often heals. Often they won't offer this because it take a longer time but heck you are paying them so who cares when it comes to what is best for you. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I was told by doctors and learned in my research that my 16 cm fibroid was too big for any laproscopic procedure. So I believe it depends on the size. The abdominal, horizontal incision is really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's just like a C-section scar, and if you have a doctor who knows what he or she is doing, it should heal just fine. :-)

• Posted

Hi NaomiLynn: I had an abdominal myomectomy on April 12 to remove one 16 cm fibroid. Horizontal incision is healing quite nicely and my stomach is back flat!  I'm feeling better and stronger every day. I can walk, do minor things around the house and drive. However, the incision is occasionally sore, and I have what feels like mild menstrual cramps sometimes. I also become fatigued easily. But I think by 4 weeks I'll be able to go back to work. I have a job that's a mixture of being at a desk and going to events outside the office.

Good luck with everything! You'll be just fine :-)  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.