Open or closed MRI of brain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm having to have an MRI for possible Trigeminal Neuralgia. How bad is the closed MRI? They say you are in there for 69 minutes. Dr. did give me Valium. I'm pretty scared!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I meant 60 minutes!
  • Posted

I have had an MRI before and again recently for TN and I scheduled for another in two weeks..this one with the dye...to see if I am a candidate for MVD surgery.  BEFORE they slide you into the machine close your eyes and do not open them until you are out of the machine and you will be fine.  It takes about 20 minutes.  PLan your next holiday....solve a knitting problem.....dream about what you would do if you won a million dollars....that is what I do.  Just keep your eyes closed and you will be fine
  • Posted

Hello

We are still waiting for our Daughter to have a Neurologist appointment and hoping that they will refer her for a MRI scan.

However I have actually had a few MRI scans in the past myself and to be really honest they are not bad at all as long as you chill and relax but there is nothing to be worried about at all. Just try to relax and it will soon be over.

All the best to you Paul 

• Posted

It's all in the individuals mind. Some folks struggle with small spaces, some do not. I have had several for my TN and only the first one bothered me. My mother had one for a kidney issue and she had to take a valium to calm herself enough to go through with it. The advice you were given, think of something else like a hobby or vacation, is the best advice. Don't open your eyes and fight the curiosity to do so. If you do, just remember that 6 inches or so above your head is all open space so you aren't entirely closed in. A lot of this is also dependent on the MRI machine you will be in. The older ones are like coffins they are so small. The newer ones aren't nearly as bad. When I had my Gamma Knife in 2014, the MRI machine was positively spacey and wasn't an issue at all.

• Posted

It's not bad at all. My last MRI was about 90 minutes, but I would spend 2 days in there to help get rid of TN.

• Posted

It's not bad at all. My last MRI was about 90 minutes. I would've fallen asleep except for the buzzing and clicking noises the machine makes. Keep the reason for the MRI in mind to help motivated you. Your doctor needs to rule out tumors and Multiple Sclerosis as causes for your pain. It's pretty important. cheesygrin

• Posted

Mine was 30 to 40 minutes but it wasn't bad

• Posted

Just to reinforce what the others commented on. The space really isn't as small as it seems and juts keep hold of the 'get me out of here button' they give you. One press and that have you out quite quickly. Believe me I pressed it by mistake on one of my 7 (SEVEN) MRI's I have had.

I think it depends on what they are searching for makes for differing times. The different tones cause different cells in the body behave differently and the machine records what they are looking for.

Everyone has different ways to handle it but as far as I know the MRI has never caused anyone any injury. Make SURE you are confortable in how the technician sets up the machine and that headphones and the like are not making you uncomfortable before you start. I have never found an operator not willing to help a patient be comfortable.

Let them start when YOU <YOU> are ready and not before.

Be in charge and stay in charge and smile nicely like you enjoyed the whole process <giggle>

• Posted

Thanks for being so positive! That really helps!
  • Posted

I have had a couple.  They took 30-45 minutes.  If you are claustrophobic, you might have a problem.  I find it relaxing.  I keep my eyes closed the whole time and just enjoy the rest.
    • Posted

Thanks! I'm really trying to stay positive!

• Posted

Hi,

I had an MRI a few years ago to rule out Meniere's disease for an inner ear problem I have as a result of ear infections, deeply unpleasant it is too - positional paroxysmal vertigo - but, rambling aside (sorry) I found it fascinating, but then I am a nurse and a science nerd!!

Take a few deep breaths, in through the nose and out slowly through the mouth before you go in the machine and then just concentrate on breathing evenly whilst in the machine. It is very noisy but they usually provide ear defenders. Try to concentrate on your breathing rather than the space you are in or the noise. Take the opportunity to work out a really difficult calculation in your head and before you realise the process will be over!

Good luck.

• Posted

I had an MRI closed with and without dye and it takes about 20 minutes. You will be fine. If you cannot tolerate being closed-in, I'm sure your Dr. will give you something to relaxe you. 

I go back to the Neurologist in Nov. I have Trigeminal Nural. and taking 1500 Gabapintin a day. I am too afraid of surgery as it is not for me. Keep me posted if you want with your outcome. I'm sure everything will work out fine. I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.