open ovarian cystectomy TOMORROW! HELP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

im new to this site and joined it in the hope of getting some answers and reassurance.

i am 16 years old and am undergoing open ovarian cystectomy tomorrow afternoon, to say i am nervous is a understatement, IM A NERVOUS WRECK!

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks anyway and this is reall taking its toll on me, my cyst is on my right ovary and is about 12cm in size, its being removed via a incision along my bikini line, my ovary will tey to be saved but if not it will be removed.

im looking for answers on how much pain i will be in after the opp, im the buggest wimp ever and am really panicking about the pain i will be in! ive been sitting here in tears for days and all i want is answers,

PLEASE HELP!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi nutellaa, I had this operation 8 weeks ago on both ovaries. Not gonna lie it is painful after but gets better each day and around 2 weeks its unbelievable how different it is. Pain almost non existent. Just need to be careful not to over do it because alot of healing to be done inside.

Hope all goes well and you have a quick recovery x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply esther14001, and thank you for being honest also,

im so nervous about the pain, im terrible with coping! im really hoping its better or a little easier than i expect. did you have the opp through bikini line? whats the scaring like?

x

• Posted

Yes through bikini line, scar pretty neat to be honest. Managed to have 4 kids no section bit now I have this scar, I can live with it though.

Apparently my cysts consisted of hair and teeth lol thank god they are gone.

Do you know what type of cysts you have?

• Posted

Hi Nutella,

I had an ovary removed due to a large cyst when I was 28 which was 24 years ago and had the bikini line cut.  I think the worse pain is the trapped wind because they put air inside you during the op. I had terrible wind in my shoulders but they gave me something for it and it soon went. Peppermint tea is good although I hate the taste of herbal teas.  

I had a full hysterectomy last year due to another cyst on the remaining ovary and I was in hospital for 4 days.  Everything went great, I felt really well and ate like a horse the day after my operation lol   Again the only pain i had was from wind and bowel spasms but they fave me something for that and I was fine.  They keep you pain free in hospital and give you painkillers to take home too.  It is sore, especially the abdominal one but I can't remember the bikini line cut being too bad really.  

Hope me everything goes well smile

• Posted

Hi Nutellaa,

Im wishing you the best on your operation. It is hard to tell the pain that you will have after the operation as they said that pain is subjective. However, your pain should be well controlled..i am sure it will. The only basic yet important thing you will do is to mobilise early.

Goodluck and let us know how you got on with the operation.

Myfairlady

• Posted

I had TAH and both overies and tubes removed 4 weeks ago I did not get any problems with wind pain Any discomfort I had in the tummy was helped with 2 paracetamol only twice in my 3 day stay 2 separate 5ml of morphine I think only on the first day

after I camehome 2paracetamols at night before bed good luck with your op

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.