Open wound fracture bimalleolar right ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am in my third week post surgery. I had a skin graft since the broken bone damage my skin. I'm not instructed properly if when should i move my foot up and down. I can move my toes but not my ankle. It seems heavy and tight. 

When should i move my ankle?

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I broke my ankle (bimalleolar fracture) Jan 2nd, and had surgery the same day so I'm three weeks out too. I've only had the one postop appointment to remove the cast and take out the stitches (ouch-that hurt). They put me in the boot and told me how to keep it clean, plus said I could shower but no weight bearing. I don't go back for my 2nd postop for 2 more weeks. They didn't really say anything about moving the ankle. I have been moving my toes and moved my ankle up and down a little, not side to side at all. I'd like to know what you found out too, because I really wasn't given too much instruction at all either. My wounds have healed pretty well, theres a straight line of scab down the side with the plate and screws.

• Posted

I daily dress my wounds cut for implant of plate and screws also my skin graft and donor site. 

The therapist intructed me to move my ankle by moving my foot up and down. For every upward hold for 30 seconds and repeat 5 times. Same with downwards hold for 30 seconds and repeat 5 times. I'm si afraid to move my foot up and down. I'mdoing it at home gentlly. Hope i wont get tired doing it even very minimal movement. 

• Posted

I have a mold under my foot up to half of my leg tied with bandage.

I want to buy boot but no instruction from the surgeon. I wish us all good luck for our immediate recovery.

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing great!! I'm still oozing after 8 weeks on the outside ankle. I'm on 50% weight bearing. I still have a lot of swelling. I sleep in my boot and reclyiner. The boot is sooo heavy and it rubs my ankles so bad. My incisions are slow healing. Yes wiggle those toes. Keep me posted because I can learn from your experience . Thanks

• Posted

Thanks y'all. Can out feel the your hardware? The inside of my ankle is ok but the outside ankle hurts and I can feel something but I can't quite describe the feeling. I had my surgery Nov 21 and it is Jan 27. And I am struggling with the site oozing and swelling and pain. I'm doing the exercises and thanks for that. Any more information would be great and I am open for any suggestions at this point. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.