operate or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My first time of posting.I have had a pilonidal sinus for 22 years its come and 'gone' over that time meaning i know its never gone but ive put up with it,usually had pain a week or 2 then its gradually passed.However its here again on my 2nd course of strong antibiotica and doctor said if it doesnt clear after these 2weeks he will send me to have surgery.But it looks/sounds horrific and im a grafter,love to work and certainly carnt afford time off-what made you have the surgery and why if it never 100% gets rid of it? thanks for reading 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi you poor thing! My son had surgery twice which went wrong. We are much better equipped this time as we are aware of the pitfalls and how to keep it clean. I would say that it rarely is cured without surgery as the infection often spreads inside further than can be seen. The latest surgeon was amazing and a complete expert. Has your doc said what they will do in the operation?
    • Posted

I have had it 22 years though it hasnt reared itself too often and its usual symptoms have gone off and only twice i have gone to the doctors and that was about 20 years ago and was given antibitotics.I went to doctors a week ago and he gave me someand said come back in a week if its still painful etc.I thought it was dying down couple of days ago but it hasnt and seems a tad worse so i went back today and hes given me stronger dose of antibiotics for another 2 weeks and to come back if gets bigger or doesnt die down and then he will send me to the hospital-but reading up i want to avoid this at all costs and hoping it dies down again-thankyou for replying wasnt expecting anyone to.
    • Posted

Anytime, it's hard to find anyone to talk abt this to. I joined this cos my son first got it at 18 and has had so much trouble. He's now 23. It's really helped us, feeling like ur not alone. Maybe do some research into op, and also don't be scared, u shouldn't have to live with it. Google Emin Carapeti, he operated on my son and is fantastic. He is private but we figured it was worth the consultation fee to get some advice. Best thing we ever did. Good luck!
    • Posted

ive been having hot baths with salt in to help draw it out-is there anything else i can do?
    • Posted

That's what they recommended to my son and it sounds like a gd idea. He cdnt sit in the bath so cdnt do it. What symptoms do u have? Is it a hole?
    • Posted

not that i can see.it feels hard and red and it as leaked a small amount of fluid.its very painful to sit down and bend over.it started more or less straight after my son was born (he's now 22) the midwife thought id broken my coxyc i was in that much pain and it leaked loads i had to where a sanitry towel over it and it smelled terrible the midwife used to bathe it and clean it and i was given antibiotics.luckily i stand mostly at work but i do have to bend down regular.it hurts more now as im sitting but also getting hip and backache trying to sit awkwardly so not on it so much..
    • Posted

It sounds terrible and just like my son had. He had to wear a sanitary towel down the back of boxers to soak up the leaking. I know it sounds scary but maybe there is still infection there? The surgeon told my son that he went in quite a way and removed loads of infection and an abscess. He then stitched it up to about 1cm deep and I've been cleaning it and packing it with silver based dressing. It's much better. Fingers crossed. The first op apparently didn't work cos the surgeon left it too deep. I do understand your reservations . Do u live near London? The surgeon is in London
    • Posted

Dont live anywhere near London sad I will see what happens with these stronger antibiotics but if it comes more regular i wont have much choice.
    • Posted

Try and search me on this and read my posts

Don't know if that is possible but I've spoke to the lady speaking to u Gill about my situation

I had two surgery a January and March.. And it's practicly healed but won't close the last bit and there saying I have another one under me scar which is shocking to think ther saying I need sugary again because it has been the worst year of my life and put a lot of strain on everything.. My relationship and everything etc family having to help me wash the area etc.. If u can bare with it with out surgery I would.. I couldn't tho cos it was like my bum crevice was splitting open with the infection

I've been on metrodondosal for 6 weeks now and infection isn't shifting.. Devastated man

Got to laugh or il cry hahaha

• Posted

hi,what is metrodondosol? i really want to avoid surgery as to be honest havent heard of any positives really definately more negatives. carnt afford time off work and im a tough cookie had it for 22 years off and on so hopefully it will die back down abit

• Posted

It is all negitive. Ain't spoke to a person what surgery a worked for.. It's shocking

The metrodondosal is like one of the strongest antibiotics

So am told by my gp but infection is laughing at it.. 6 weeks il be on it by next week..

What is the tablet they've gave u to calm yours down I may ask for it

• Posted

just antibiotics flucloxacilln 500mg 1 tablet 4 times a day-got 2weeks worth.the week before he gave 250mg and it hadnt helped..in most ops why do they leave wound open? I would of thought prone to infection.
    • Posted

It means the wound heals from bottom up, has to be so clean tho and also have to kind of scrub it with cotton buds to get the loose crap out. Then pack and dress it. My son's surgeon said not leaving it to deep tho cos it has too much healing to do.

Bascoms procedure didn't work for Pad my son and they just sewed it up with infection still there so it just got worse again. Maybe will work for some people altho our surgeon said he's not a fan. I can't praise our man enough, his track record proves how gd he is.

• Posted

Cleaned every day by a district nurse I had.. Stitching just caused a cavity under my stitches

District nurses packed me from March.. To about 6 weeks ago.. They got unreliable towards the end tho they made me feel like I was a hindrince to them which is shockinh

• Posted

You poor thing. The district nurse gave up on my son a bit too. I found it hard at first to do it but at least I care enough to make sure it's ok and done properly
    • Posted

Totally agree, ul put the effort in..

Hasn't the surgeon said though, we will send district nurses out or is he ok with your self doing the wound

• Posted

He prefers it cos at least when u doing it for someone you love and have seen suffer u do it properly. He told me exactly what to do and checks it regularly. No mention of district nurses! To be honest they weren't great last time anyway
    • Posted

I had surgery for the drainage of a perianal abscess. It was a large abscess which was extremely painful. I was admitted to hospital as an emergency and had surgery to drain the abscess. The wound was left open to heal and I have been attending the hospital on a daily basis to have the wound packed and the dressing changed.

After 4 weeks  the nurse packing my wound told me although it is almost healed on the outside, there is still a 2cm depth inside the wound and that the outside is healing faster than the inside. She said if the wound closes too early I will be left with a pocket which could cause the abscess to re-occur.

She called a consultant who examined my wound (ouch) and he said I have to come in for further surgery under anaesthetic to open the wound up as the opening was too small, so packing can be inserted and also to examine the wound to check for 'tracking'. 

That was on Friday and I was booked in on the Monday, I had the procedure done and the original incision was like a cross shape measuring 1.2cm by 2cm, it is now 2cm by 3cm! Hurts more than last time... More packing going in and the depth is now 1cm more! Bled quite heavy afterwards!

Is this the usual incision shape for drainage it's like a ''+'' shape incision.

The are using aquacel to pack it, is it ok to leave the packing in overnight - if i do it has a funny smell to it on removel. Urgh! is this ok as when I had the surgery on Monday they used alginate rope to pack it.

SOre at mo - sigh

• Posted

I had surgery for the drainage of a abscess. It was a large abscess which was extremely painful. I was admitted to hospital as an emergency and had surgery to drain the abscess. The wound was left open to heal and I have been attending the hospital on a daily basis to have the wound packed and the dressing changed.

After 4 weeks  the nurse packing my wound told me although it is almost healed on the outside, there is still a 2cm depth inside the wound and that the outside is healing faster than the inside. She said if the wound closes too early I will be left with a pocket which could cause the abscess to re-occur.

She called a consultant who examined my wound (ouch) and he said I have to come in for further surgery under anaesthetic to open the wound up as the opening was too small, so packing can be inserted and also to examine the wound to check for 'tracking'. 

That was on Friday and I was booked in on the Monday, I had the procedure done and the original incision was like a cross shape measuring 1.2cm by 2cm, it is now 2cm by 3cm! Hurts more than last time... More packing going in and the depth is now 1cm more! Bled quite heavy afterwards!

Is this the usual incision shape for drainage it's like a ''+'' shape incision.

The are using aquacel to pack it, is it ok to leave the packing in overnight - if i do it has a funny smell to it on removel. Urgh! is this ok as when I had the surgery on Monday they used alginate rope to pack it.

SOre at mo - 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.