Operated hip looks deformed is this normal?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all, I had my operation 10 days ago and I'm doing pretty well, I'm getting around really well on my crutches etc. 

However my operated hip looks unusually round compared to what it was before and sticks out more than my un operated leg....is this normal? 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi ladycupcake, 

I agree with previous responses - 10 days post op is early in recovery and  there will be some swelling and tenderness around the hip area... THR is a major invasive operation where a lot of brutal manipulation is needed to remove joint etc.   

When are you seeing your surgeon again --- do you have staples that need to be removed ?   

Let us know how you are getting on okay ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, I have't had a date to see surgeon yet but I do need to go and get the ends of my stitches snipped but no staples or anything..Im feeling really really good actually..xx

• Posted

Hi

Yes mine was the same. It does look odd compared to the other leg but does start to go back to normal over time. I'm now 4 months on and there is a slight difference but not like it was in the beginning. I know what you mean about the Kim Kardashian look! As long as your wound is ok and there isn't anything unusual in your leg.

Pleased to see you are doing well on your crutches don't rush anything.

Julie

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing well Lady C. Mine now at 7 weeks still looks bobbly, but as others suggest, any heat, redness or seepage contact your Doc and if you are concerned about anything contact in any case. You have had a major op so fine to ask questions. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hiya Lady Cupcake,

I'm over a year on.

I had some swelling at first, but also a lump at the side of my hip.  The swelling went down but the lump stayed and it's still there.  At first I was told it was a haematoma, but at my final check I was told it's just 'displaced fatty tissue' and nothing to worry about.  It gives me no pain and is not really noticeable except by me.

It sounds something like you've described.  

Wishing you a good recovery.

Cels Xx   

• Posted

Hiya, It seems to be getting less lumpy by the day lol
  • Posted

Although I had a slightly different op 4 weeks agoand  my operated hip still looks a bit big. And I still have soime swelling in my leg. It is getting better and I'm sure yours will too. I think that as we move more it helps the swelling to disperse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.