operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all, ive recently been offered an operation on my neck for my cs, wondered if anyone else has had this op done sucessfully. Ive been put off having it due to the risk of being paralised. also watched it being dine live on you tbe------yuk!!! Im off work at the moment, have been for five weeks and dont know if i will be able to return, im a rehab worker in the community and struggling! I also have sciatica and at the age of 46 feel like an old woman! I was diagnosed in 2006 and have got steadily worse.Got to keep going though havnt we and keep smiling.This site helps a lot ........................thinkig about you all

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I've never had the op. Aunty Em has posted more qualified comments on this dilemma. My c/s is more come and go and I tend to focus on remedial therapies to keep it in the 'go' position as much as possible. If my episodes were more everyday I would probably be facing the same choices you have to make. If only they could guarantee a successful outcome...I think we'd all be in the queue. I don't know how persistent your symptoms are, or how tolerable it is, but I do know that bad bouts I have do eventually self resolve...but will return intermittently. I suppose, the more persistent the pain.....the more limited are your choices. There is quite a bit of info on the net about the op and it's risks and it might be worth looking it up before making any decision. Even a second opinion from a private consultant might be worth the expense.

Gerry

• Posted

Hiya CIolne smile

Yep I had the op in October 2007, A multi-level laminectomy to be precise, I am still in recovery stage apparently smile :roll: The op will not cure your CS it is done for various reasons, mine was done to relieve pressure due to stenosis.

I consider mine to have been a success, it is a very painful operation and very debilitating for around 3-4 months (or so I found) I was then able to go out on my own for short walks. I still can't do much.but I can do more than what I was doing, which has to b e a plus.

Personally I find that you can find out too much about an op before hand and it will put you off, ignorance is bliss sometimes, regarding the risks, there are risks with any operation, my brother had the op in 2003, his failed, he isn't paralized or anything so drastic but he has a constant battle everyday to keep on his feet and keep moving due to the ever constant pain and myalopathy.

A good Neurosurgeon is the key, also the length of time you have suffered the shorter the time the better the outcome, I suffered for 18 months before I had the op, my brother had suffered for that length of time in years.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Take Care

Emxx smile

• Posted

Hiya All....

I just wanted to ask Aunty Em a question if thats ok..... :mrgreen:

Aunty Em...Has the Op reduced your pain???? Did you have headaches before and spasms...and if so, what about now...????? Is the recovery pain worse than CS pain...or just different????

OK...so that was quite a few questions..... :sorry::smooch:

Thanks in advance.... :D

Jas..... 8)

• Posted

[quote:7596bcb66f=\"jassyjewels\"]Hiya All....

I just wanted to ask Aunty Em a question if thats ok..... :mrgreen:

Aunty Em...Has the Op reduced your pain???? Did you have headaches before and spasms...and if so, what about now...????? Is the recovery pain worse than CS pain...or just different????

OK...so that was quite a few questions..... :sorry::smooch:

Thanks in advance.... :D

Jas..... 8)[/quote:7596bcb66f]

Hiya Jassy :lol:

You have me on the floor laughing!! :lol: 8)

1. The pain is reduced......now, but every day is different, my brother always says 'you can't legislate from day to day how you wil be' very true.

2. The recovery pain is horrendous ( no point in beating about the bush, my brother warned me but.......) it's hell ,I know how John Merrick ( elephant man) felt sad sad

My symptoms were loss of use to my arms and hands, it affected my walking, severe H/A's which would force my left eye to close, so many things Jassy, but they have gone now, I can peel potatoes again ( more's the pity) 8) I sometimes get the myelopathy but that weems to have dimminished as time has gone on, so yes I'm pleased with the results.

Hope this helps

Emxx :lol:

• Posted

Thank you Em for that insight..... :smooch:

I have found a couple of Aussie websites...Even found one for the Neurosurgery that I am going too. It has very detailed descriptions of each type of surgery available with pics and everything....I have a brain FULL of it all now...... :yikes:

I guess all I can do is wait for my Neuro appointment and see what they say!!!! I really don't like waiting..... :grrr:

*HUGS* to you all....Jas....xx... 8)

• Posted

Jas :D

For gawds sakes stop looking at pica and things, it will put you off!!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the pre-op assessment, this in itself is no mean feat to achieve, ie blood tests, ecg tests, puffer tests, and the swab test!! This one involved 8 inch swabs being shoved up ya nose, in ya mouth and when the nurse gave me a swab and said please take a swab of your piri something or other, my face must have said it all, she explained where it could be found............... I said look love that place hadn't been discovered let alone named, I was born in the last century you know!! :lol: :lol:

Emxx :wink:

• Posted

[quote:3223697f99=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi,

I've never had the op. Aunty Em has posted more qualified comments on this dilemma. My c/s is more come and go and I tend to focus on remedial therapies to keep it in the 'go' position as much as possible. If my episodes were more everyday I would probably be facing the same choices you have to make. If only they could guarantee a successful outcome...I think we'd all be in the queue. I don't know how persistent your symptoms are, or how tolerable it is, but I do know that bad bouts I have do eventually self resolve...but will return intermittently. I suppose, the more persistent the pain.....the more limited are your choices. There is quite a bit of info on the net about the op and it's risks and it might be worth looking it up before making any decision. Even a second opinion from a private consultant might be worth the expe

Gerry[/quote:3223697f99] hi gerry, thanks for your reply ,every little helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.