Operation booked

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well that's it i have had pre op and paid up all going ahead next weds 17th pelvic floor repair and poss hysterectomy. Any advice to prepare. 

1 like, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 19 days post op A&p repair I am feeling today that its not worked feel swollen particularly in pereneum area have been taking lactulose daily eating fruit and veg drinking water still had to use glycerine suppository to have BM today is this normal healing process or should I be worried
  • Posted

Hi karen. you know what matron would say.. try not to worry I'm sure it is fine and normal as only 19 days ( where has the time gone?) but do try to rest up more. She told me not to worry about sweeling when I asked if I had my prolapse back or riles through straining. I am drining 3 cups of coffee I day  yes sunful eh as my spec told me to limit it. But I find it too helps with whole keeping everything moving so BM happens and not too painfully. When I say I have 3 cups my hubby would argue and say she makes 3 cups lucky if she drinks one. I also drink lots of decafe coffee in between. Not a big water drinker but find hot drink helps occupy me, fill me up, relax me and helps with whole keeping things moving business. I also take  1 or 2 stool softeners at night before bed depending on how my BM was the day before. Forgot one night and boy was is hard and painful the next. If you are really worried I would just get your local GP or unit nurse to check it out. Like I mentioned before feel we should be checking extra check ups at say 2 and 4 weeks just to make sure everything ok and for our piece of mind but that won't happen anytime soon. I still ice about 4 times a day and have taken to a hot ( just tap hot not boiling or anything) flannel to help with stinging at rear entrance to vagina, put it there just before I go for wee and afterwards it sems to help with stinging. My stitches are starting to come away. Are yours? and I have no bleeding haven't for about 7 days and very little discharge. I am very itchy though. Did some work work last night via internet after my hubby attempted some of my job, I never asked him to and I had to unravel all his mistakes after 3 hrs sitting on my backside even with 10 minutes breaks every 30 minutes . The whole area aches today. Do worry waht other delights I will find when I do get back to work. So going to start doing an hour or two a day from home and check a few things out. Can only work after hours of course but every little bit helps and means less work and stress when i do go back. Hope you don't let the doubt monsters in, pretty sure it is just us healing as mine still swollen too. But bottom stopped throbbing after the knot stitch came away think it was too tight. But I am no expert and really think it would be worth a call or visit to your local medical centre just for your peace. Going to end my posts with soemthing positive , something I have achieved , another hurdle over or goal passed . So here it is 19 days and passed resaonably quickly so hopefully next 5 weeks will also pass just as quick. My throbbing as gone- yah! I have dropped my day time painkillers down to just a couple after a BM. I am not gaining weight which is surprising and especailly good as I was convinced all this just sitting and lounging around would turn me into an elephant and not in a cute way. Hope you get the reassurance and answers you seek. Keep moving forward, and keep in touch. 
    • Posted

Morning Tilley I think I was getting a bit down yesterday feeling better today thank goodness. I have not lost any stitches yet but I can see a knot  that may be causing discomfort just at the rear side of opening so maybe when this comes out discomfort will go. I went to see GP yesterday as was concerned i may have infection as I could see a white patch just inside she took a swab but seems to think its ok although she seemed confused as to what I had actually had done(don't think she had seen results of op before) think I must be getting old as she looked like she should still be a school ha ha.stool softener s are a godsend for me too dread to think what would happen if I didn't take them. I have not weighed myself since op don't think I dare ! Can't wait to be more active and get back to work. Yes hasn't it passed quickly Tilley we will soon be fighting fit again. Thank you for your support speak soon take care x
    • Posted

Hi Karen, almost 3 weeks eh? My turn to be bit down today, everything just seems to get to me at the moment and I take everything so personally and I know it's jsut hormones and the whole feeling useless thing but could just curl uo in a ball and wake up in 3 months time. My hubby hung up on me at work and only after a few minutes , I thought the worst you know so over hearing how I am etc. well he does ask! but know customers and he is trying to cope alone but of course i didn't see it that way and gave him such a serve which when he told me why I ended up crying for thinking like that. Illogical , stupid yes I know I have already told myself off, do you get these feelings or should I be seeking help. I tell myself they must be normal but I dont see other ladies posting about being down or emotional. I tell myself these 3 weeks have gone pretty quickly and I have survived without too much discomfort and hardly any pain just smarking and that throbbing which has passed now. Hope you are feeling better. Feel i would be if could go back to doing normal stuff but spec says I need to go back gradually and not overdo it. Regain my strength. I know we will get there in the end. Wedding is coming along nicely and I have been able to help so much more than if i was working so that has been so enjoyable. Hope you are keeping busy. Just one more thing, ar eyou experiencing any numbness? I notice in my bottom if I sit for more than 30 mins even with a cushion and in my left toes? keep smiling and thanks for being there for me. x 
    • Posted

Hi Tilley you are not alone with those feelings I have spent the evening in tears wondering why I ever had this op everything gets me down. We know it will we worth it and we will be back up and running all too soon, but I suppose it is because we are not use to doing nothing are we. I do get the numbness in my feet also its like pins and needles. Yes week 3 and we have survived...glad you have the wedding to keep you going something to focus on. I'm going to ring docs today to see if the swab test has come back yet as I'm sure i have some infection brewing.i will let you know keep smiling Tilley x
    • Posted

Hi Karen, thank goodness that I'm not loosing it, but sorry that you too are having these feelings. They warn you about them after childbirth , why not with this op? Amazing you get the numbness too? Wedding has hit a lull so decided to do a spot of very light spring - even through it is autumn here cleaning. Just going through files, drawers , cupboards etc throwing out old stuff. Surprising what s**t I have keep! heaven knows why? and more surprising how long it is taken me but keeping me busy and not overdoing it. How did you go with your tests? You know I felt better after my crying but foolish for feeling like that but your reply has made me so much better, no longer foolish or a whimp, that it's normal so thanks heaps and keep posting. Yuk just rememebered 3 weeks today at this time I was in surgery! How I worried about that surgery, nothing to worry about was there really, couldn't control anything and I survived. But with my recovery I can control that and will so that my op has highest chance of success, just need to stop my family from trying to control it LOL
    • Posted

Morning Tilley glad you are feeling better me too today I went for a car journey yesterday - hubby drove of course. Went to visit a relative just a short trip but was glad to get out i found the car very uncomfortable so glad it was a short trip. We have a funeral for an elderly relative today so going to go and take my cushion to sit on in the church just going for the service although I could murder for a G&T ha ha. Absolutly Tilley don't be pushed into doing baby sitting yet don't want to undo anything or delay recovery, had a call from my employer yesterday to say my company sick pay has now ran out and do I know when I am coming back !,,, oh well health is more important they won't be seeing me until I'm well enough that's for sure.no rain so far here today but quite chilly roll on summer. Keep smiling Tilley we are going into another week now xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Karen, Really do hope you are feeling a lot better today. I am doing ok. Still get tired easily and have emotional roller coster be tell myself it is to be expected. Very sore down there so like you say it is really unconfortable to sit for even short periods. But I have decided to do a liitle more work from home each day so that at least when I do go back which will be after the easter break at the latest I won't get over tired or stresses by what awaits me. Sorry to hear about your relative and do hope you coped on the day - I would have had G&T - one wouldn't have killed you LOL. Good on ya for putting your health first, think a lesson we should all learn though not always easy or possible. Sun shining here today after some heavy rain so bit humid but going to try for short walk. Will do a few shorter circuits so I will be close to home if I don't feel good and won't over do it. 20-30 minutes tops. My elderly cat 18 years has lost her hearing and now looks like her sight is going, I got very upset yesterday when she couldn't figure out where the house door was. I just picked her up and cried, I know she doen't have long but can't bring myself to have her put to sleep. Will when she is in pain or not eating etc and might still take her once my emotions are in check and I can act more rationally - I don't want her to suffer. Hope this op is worth it for all stuff it has put me through and from what I have read I have been let off relatively lightly. Got my spec check up - earlier than I expected 5th April just 3 weeks away and back at physio on 7th.Hoping to move physio up to next level with electrodes etc will depend how tender I am. You keep smiling too. Gets really cold hre in winter which surprises non australians , even had snow and so windy, so winter not my best season, hoping summer will linger alot longer. Take care XX PS how did you go with your test? 
    • Posted

Hi Tilley so sorry to hear about your cat the same thing happened to my beloved dog a couple of years ago he was 16 but he developed ulcers on his eys and was in pain I had to have him put to sleep I was distraught,we get so attached to them don't we. It was a good boost for me yesterday being in company although I felt so sore even though I sat down for most of the time I did have 2 cheeky G&T s slept like a log last night lol. I haven't lost any stitches yet but I can see lots of them getting ready to come out.i know what you mean about soreness after sitting. My check up with spec is 6th April. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end Tilley.no test results from swab taken yet!! Keep smiling Tilley nearly week 4 x
  • Posted

4 weeks after A&P repair has anybody started suffering from piles/hemorrhoids is it safe to use over the counter ointments ?
    • Posted

Hi Karen, was going to chat with you today and see how you are going. $ weeks down- well done to us both. But I can see from this post that you think you have piles? Do you definately have piles or is it just lumpy stitch line in the perineum area . That is what mine turned out to be. My bladder infection got more painful and my wee had blood in it despite increasing my fluids so ha dto go to doc. Early days yet on meds for 3 more days but heaps better. Still really sore down there. How about you? I did ask my GP if I could put something on the area to relieve the feeling and discomfort and she advised against it. She didn't look down there just said if it was piles it was better to use a suppository as they work inside and shouldn't irritate perineum area too much. She advised any thing I could get over the counter at the chmeist for piles would be fine . but to mention the prolapse suregry to the chemist. It is no use me naming the suppositories as will have a different name there, just ask in your local chemist for some for piles and mention your prolapse surgery .I have used them a couple of times when I felt a bulge (first sign of piles for me) and as they are kept in the fridge they are cold and that alone provides alot of relief. Hope this helps. Been working just as long from home this week but with longer breaks so as not on my bottom too long. I set my smart phone for 40 minutes and break for 40 minutes, but feel asleep for 90 minutes yesterday so llonger break then I expected but coping better. Less stressed about work load that will be waiting for me as it won't be so large now. I got the recovery chart from Rosiepix and boy what an eye opener that was. Published by BJA so think medically ok and boy was I really overdoing stuff and much too early. Sticking to this chart from now on. I think the reason they don't tell us realistic recovery times and give best scenarios is that we probably would think twice about having it done if we had know., Anyway hope you get some relief. I am rethinking changing my physio as it is so far away and difficult to get to and park and if I have to go a few times a week I just couldn't manage it. Now thinking of either trying to find somewhere closer or buying one of those kegal machines. Cost would be only about a couple of visits to see physio and I have all basic exercises from sucess I had before my op. hummmm. will see how close and ask more questions re treatment. I know the kegal website rates great sucess but would love more feed back from fellow op ladies. have tried posting subject before with little reply but after cost research will try again. How is your weather? Her we have had a tropical like thunderstorm - unusal for melbourne apart from summer our climate is quite cold and wet. But it is nice to be back to 20's instead of humid 30's. Planning on playing garden adviser this weekend will make a change from garden worker as determined to stick to  ew recovery times and not overdo it. Will enjoy getting out and picking plants and watching hubby plant them..LOL. Your weekend plans? keep smiling luv xx
    • Posted

Hi Tilley gosh I know we have got the worse over with fingers crossed. Sorry to hear your infection didn't clear but hope now you have meds it will sort it out. Yes bloody piles i have never had them before I got some gernaloid ointment and boy what a relief it was hope they are not going to keep reoccuriring bloody painful!! Still get heavy ache if I have been sat or on feet too much. Went with hubby to supermarket today enjoyed getting out and about but was glad to get back home and put feet up.. Yesterday was a lovely day weather was good even sat in garden for a couple of hours but heating on again today as temperature dropped again typical English weather. The chart is very interesting isn't it I'm going to follow it no overdoing things as would never like to have this done again...I do hope piles are not going be an ongoing problem now though..nothing planned for the weekend think my son will pop round with the children they will cheer me up. Keep well and keep smiling Tilley xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.