Operation date given!!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Just thought i'd let you all know that i have received an operation date of 5th Jan, it all seems to be sinking in now and i'm not going to lie i'm petrified!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wish you all the best. Had my op last July, and it went very well. All that horrible bone on bone pain stops, as if by magic!
  • Posted

Celebrate! You new life begins on the 5th Jan!

3 weeks today I had both mine done. I counted the days until my op, as I decided the pain after couldn't not be any worse than I pain I was in before.

The pain after is nothing like before! The small amount you do suffer is controlled with meds and you will feel looser pretty much straight away.

3 weeks on, I am only taking paracetamol or co codamol and feel fantastic.

Seriously, don't worry - look forward xx

• Posted

We all were - still am at the thought of having it done again when it eventually wears out ........ but it'll be fine, just go with the flow, but stay on this forum, it really is the best place to be for help and advice.

Graham

• Posted

I had my thr in March this year and was also petrified, but it was absolutely fine, I also had it done with an epidural with sedation something else I was petrified about but that was fine as well, once back on the ward I was sat up straight away having a cuppa and enjoying a Cadbury's creme egg. It's a natural thing to feel scared, but take it from a big coward like me that the thought of it is the worse bit. Take care.

• Posted

Kel40

Just had my anterior LTHR today😁 ! Everything went great! It was outpatient surgery. Went in at 6am and came home 4:30. I am now resting comfortably and getting around

With my Walker. Also got an Iceman 1100 icing machine to help with

Post-op swelling. Prescribed pain meds working well. Should be able to shed the Walker and go to cane in 2 weeks. Will start my PT exercises tomorrow for best outcome.

Scheduled this in July. I have suffered for years but last 6. Months have been hell. I feel better now then I did prep.

Please be assured you have a very good decision. I did a lot of self teach. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power and best remedy for fear

Of unknown.

• Posted

hi kel, 

great and encouraging posts, darling --- 

as said, we all have been there and some here are also facing the surgery and feeling the same way as you do right now ...

you are not alone !!!!   no better place to come to than this forum ...

please let us know ho you are getting on, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thankyou everybody your words are reassuring, my heads in a total spin at the moment as to what type of clothes will be best to take in that don't rub on the wound etc, i also have epilepsy that i am worrying about with the anasethtic etc.

• Posted

Just make sure the anethetist knows about any medical conditions you have - they really are wonderful people, and generally so much more 'human' than the surgeons.  Having said that, my new surgeon is even better biggrin, a wonderful man.

• Posted

You will be fine and out of pain soon,

i had mine 14 weeks ago, still a little wobbly but no pain from my hip.

take care and stay in the discussions, they really help.

No one understands unless they have been in the same situation.😊😊😊

• Posted

Hi. I'm having uncemented THR on the 17th December and like you, it's all becoming very real now. I have all sorts of concerns now....like how am I going to manage sleeping on my back ( I do have a riser/ recliner chair, but I'm unsure if we are allowed to use them for sleeping on. Also, at present I have a lot of pain in my knee. My surgeon seems to think this is residule pain from my hip. Has any one else had this and if so did it go after surgery

Joy..

• Posted

Hi Joy, prior to my op (5 weeks ago tomorrow) my worst pain was in my knee and I was really worried I'd got arthritis there too. As soon as I woke up from the sedative I realised the pain had gone and it hasn't returned. Referred pain is really common with hips.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Joy:

I also had referred pain from my hip. It went away after the THR was completed.

Also chose the anterior appraoch for my hip surgery. As a result there are no restrictions

• Posted

Joy:

I pressed the send button too fast. .. the anterior approach allows one to sleep how they want.

I have slept on my surgery side, on my back as well as non surgery side. I don't know why more people don't choose

This least invasive procedure for hip replacement. I am just past 2 week and feeling pretty good.

You will be able to sleep in different

Positions. It just will take longer.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.