Operation date has arrived... scared!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been given a date for my laparoscopy to remove a 10cm ovarian cyst, my left ovary and fallopian tube on 29th June. I have been warned that it may turn into a laparotomy, though.

Please could someone tell me what recovery was like after having an ovary and fallopian tube removed? What's the likeliness of the op turning into a laparotomy? I'm very nervous and don't know what to expect!

Please share your experiences...

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I cant give you any advice (sorry). Im waiting for surgery also, wont be sure what type of surgery till i wake up after the op (same as you). I just wanted to wish you luck & a speedy recovery.i think any kind of surgery is a better option than all the side affects of a cyst. Im nervous too but its only human. Im sure it will work out fine for you.

Best wishes

Cheryl.x

• Posted

Here is mine smile   On January 27 of this year, I had a soccer ball sized ovarian cyst removed, along with my left tube.... he was able to keep the ovary. Mine all went VERY well, after me being so scare and worried, for nothing. I was lucky to have a wonderful doctor and he was able to get it done with laparoscopy. There isn't really any way of telling until you wake up... how it went. But, I was up and moving after a couple of days. After about a week, I found myself over doing things... but, my body let me know (the lifting is a no-no). I am happy that I am completely healed and life is MUCH better without that in me (and, I am down 10 lbs.) Just know that no matter what your recovery time is... you will feel so much better after you heal! Prayers being sent!!

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

i had my surgery 1 week ago, I was also booked in to have my right ovary & tube removed. I was diagnosed with a 8:3cm. multiocculated cyst in February to be removed by keyhole surgery (all going well).

i was nervous like you & I think the closer it got the more anxious I felt & I just wanted it to be over. The Day of my surgery I was quite calm, I think I was glad my day was finally here.

My surgery went well but it could not be done by keyhole as my cyst had grown to 15:1cm. I had a laparotomy. The surgeon took the cyst (without bursting it) my ovary & tube.

The first night was a little rough due to not being able to lay on my side & the nurses had to monitor my blood pressure & temperature. I did have some good medication to assist with the pain.

Next day I managed to get up & have a shower with the help of my husband, I was sore & felt very bloated (my p.j' bottoms were too tight around the waist my husband had to buy me larger ones). But my pain was managed only buy Paracetamol & at night I did have a stronger one to help me sleep. I had to stay in hospital for 3nights due to a laparotomy instead of keyhole.

i am home feeling well, still sore around the incision & still a little bloated. What I'm finding the hardest is no driving, hanging washing, vacuuming, lifting, working or going to the gym for 4weeks.

I am a fairly active person & feeling this well after a week I think I will need to find something to keep my mind active.

I always had a positive outlook & I also had a Plan B in mind just in case they could not do keyhole. 

I hope this helps a little, if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Take care of yourself. 

Vicki

• Posted

I will share more when I have a sec, but I totally understand the fear.
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago it was a salpingo oophorectomy.  To be honest I was scared to death, but guess what.. It wasn't bad at all.  My doctor must not have put alot of gas or he he was able to get most out, but I had no gas pain.  As I has stated on other post I also had hernia repair and to be honest that part was the WORST.  I was in and out same day started at 7:30 home by 1:00.  I could shower by next day.  The pain pills (3) I did take were for the henia, I had no pain for the ovary and tubes.

What made me scared was reading all I could get my hands on and everyone is really different with pain level and their health care provider.

I came home today and I was in pain reading how much surgery was as I received an outline of all the charges that I asked for.  Boy, I need a drink or more pain pills, just joking.

• Posted

Rebecca,

You will do great, just think positive.  We are here to help as most of us have been in your shoes.  I too was nervous as I made my the appointment like am I do the right thing.  As of today, I can say yes, I made the right call from the help I received here.  I wish I knew about this forum earlier.

I will be thinking about you on June 29.

Kelley 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.