Operation scars

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi 

I have had a partial knee op and just wondering which would be better to get rid of the unsightly scar - bio oil or aloe Vera gel or even honey ? 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ive used vitamin E oil with great success.  You can order it from Amazon.  Good luck!
  • Posted

My ortho dr told me to use cocoa butter, which I tried.  The smell of it made me slightly nauseous so I quit using it.  I am now using castor oil mixed with lavender oil and peppermint oil.  It has worked very well on the appearance of the scar and the swelling as well.  I have not tried it, but some who have had the TKR recommend Vitamin E oil.  It is important to keep the scar "lubricated" and also to massage it as well to break up scar tissue.  Good luck!  Oh, and the ortho dr told me not to put anything on it or massage it until you are about 3 weeks post op.  Prior to that I just cleaned it twice a day with an alcohol wipe.

• Posted

thanks I have been using bio oil but can't see any difference so will try Vitamin E oil

• Posted

I've always used vitamin E oil massaged in twice a day. Actually heals all the way to the bone.

• Posted

It's not unsightly.  It is the remnant of a wound gloriously and sublimely suffered in The Majestic Battle of Life.  It's a reminder of what you endured and conquered as you languished in your desolate despair.  Wear your scar proudly, resplendently and most triumphantly!

• Posted

Hey Chico, if you really want that other kidney stone, I just found out last week I got two, so I got one to give away. I go in tomorrow to get the 5 cm rock crushed. Don't know what they are going to do with the 4 cm on the other side. I'm hurting but can't quit because of my wife's needs but let me tell you, I have the timer sitting next to the pain pills and glass of water. Getting off my feet at every chance. So far nothing like the one I had 24 yrs ago but picking up steam slowly making me forget about the knee pain.

• Posted

That's exactly the way I've approaced it!  The constand reminder saying how well I'm doing and yes a battle scar, wear it proudly, and as I said, it will fade anyway.  

• Posted

The ONLY thing that works for me when I get one is Dilaudid, preferably 2-3 mg IV.  Nothing lower on the list has any effect.

I had the lithotripsy done on one that was too big to pass.  My last one was also too big but it descended into the pelvis negating the use of the sound waves.  To get this one, I needed the "basket retrieval" process.  Look it up.  They have to go in and slice it up with a laser; the pieces fall into a little "basket". Guess how they get to the stone...you're not going to like it... 

• Posted

I haven't been bothered about the scars and have found that 18 months after the first TKR the scar has faded heaps anyway.  It's hardly noticeable.

• Posted

good to know it will fade as rather unsightly at moment but at least I can now walk without pain and that's so good 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.