Operation to relive or stop vertigo

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello peeps, i have suffered for over 10 years with vertigo, it just came on one night and i have had to deal with it ever since.

I wont bore you with my years of trying to deal with it because reading these forums i can see we all have the same problem.

There is an operation that can remove the debris in your ear canals that can cause vertigo. I belive this is causing my problems.

So has anyone had this or knows of someone who has, i was trying find out if it was a sucsess or not.

For those who dont experiance vertigo symptoms it is hard to explain to them how we feel.

I feel i am stuck in a loop, i feel vertigo coming on so get anxious, which compounds my vertigo and so it goes on.

thanks for reading

Paul

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I know nothing about this operation. It seems there would be an easier means to remove deep ear debris besides surgery..Have you tried nasal rinses with a neti pot to help move the ear's natural function? Hope you improve soon. smile

• Posted

no never heard of that.

Yep the consultant i see has mentioned the op, but they like to try other means first

• Posted

just a thought, but have you posted this question on  the VEDA site?  if you have Facebook they also have a page on there, listed under Vestibular Discorders Association.  You may find someone here who has had this,op?
  • Posted

Have you tried Beta histine? I find they help me a lot. As well as clearing my airways and ears, they help me relax.

Best wishes 

Pauline

• Posted

The ENT I saw seems to think I have the same problem and has referred me for vestibular testing. I'm waiting for an appointment but if they confirm the ENT's suspicions, I will ask them about this operation and let you know,

Just been talking to Sarah Cuda on another discussion board. Don't know if you've already seen it but it turns out she has a vertebra in her spine which is misplaced . The chiropractor she saw , suspects it could have a lot to do with her vertigo.She didn't experience any pain so was really surprised to find out she had a problem. Might be worth checking out your spine if you haven't done so already ?

• Posted

Wow - that's the first I've heard of the surgery...I hope someone chimes in with experience!  Did they say what it's called or what's involved?  The only surgery that comes to mind is an injection of a drug that is sometimes used on Meuniere's patients. (TTG/Gentamicin)  I'm not a Dr. so I'm sure there's much I don't know!

A neti pot may help middle ear issues, but can't reach the inner ear, where BPPV strikes. I've had some good results from decongestants, too, though - even if my nose doesn't feel stuffy and there's no fluid in my middle ear, there's enough going on somewhere that it helps clear up mild-moderate symptoms (the decongestants make me a little dizzy, too so it has to be bad enough to want the drugs in my case).  Accupuncture got me over the worst of it when nothing else did.

There are others who have had success with the Epley Manouever, I may try it again some day, but it did not work for me.

Thanks for bringing to light another (although perhaps last-resort) possibility!

• Posted

i only googled to see if there was such an operation, it seems there is but from what information i can gather they are a little reluctant to carry it out.

I have tried all the excersises but they dont seem to work but i still keep doing them hoping one day it might just stop.

I am glad there are others who can relate to this

• Posted

I,have a video of a lady in the US giving a talk to new interns about our problem, which she had too, and ultimately had an operation on. If you, or anyone else who,would like to watch it, PM,s me with their email address I can forward it on.  It is very informative and interesting hear her relate exactly what we are all going through .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.