Operation to remove remaining bowel.

Posted , 2 users are following.

bustergut1

Operation to remove remaking bowel

Posted 12 minutes ago

Hi everyone i had an op a year ago yesterday ( my decision) to remove most of my large colon & now I  have a Stoma. Unfortunately the remaining 15cm (rectal stump)  has been inflamed with uc & bleeding, despite meds, since last April’17. I met with consultant 3 weeks ago & had endoscopy 1 week ago. I could see for myself how inflamed & bleeding the remaining bowel is. The consultant said at the first meeting the op could happen within 6-8 weeks but I was a bit shocked at the endoscopy to be told a date was available middle of March, less than 6 weeks! Shocked I think because it was all becoming real. I’m very grateful to the nhs as I’m not on a long waiting list & the care I’ll receive. I’ve  had enough of the bleeding everytime go to the loo everyday.  I’m having a second op to remove this making my Stoma permanent. I’m more anxious this time as I don’t seem to have much info as to what to expect during op, ie do they tip you head down this time? Lol, but, mainly  I’m concerned about afterwards when you come round. With my other op I woke up with the worse headache I’ve ever had & my pain threshold is usually quite high! This Could have been due to being tipped head downwards during the 6 hour op, sinus pain? Or maybe the anesthetic? Anyone else experienced head pain after op? I had No discomfort from the actual op! Also I’m worried about the pain in area of external stitches & how soon it heals & sitting down etc. I want to go into this op in a positive mindset but for some bizarre reason feeling more anxious about this than the first major op. Any experience & advice about op & the recovery afterwards welcomed. Thanks. 

Report this

? 0

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good Morning - I had the operation to remove my Rectal Stump last March. I found the recovery to be much quicker and I’m now in great shape if a tad plumper than before. You won’t regret it, be positive and look forward to being UC free.
    • Posted

Hi darasdad

Thanks for replying.  Do you mind me asking about after op? Sitting down etc & any further problems in healing? B

• Posted

Hiya - please ask away. It’s a bit uncomfortable at the start and you can be supplied with a circular inflatable cushion. I didn’t get on with it so just sat down normally. It’s not that limiting. One of the stitches did come free, the Surgeon took a look said it would heal over and it has. I was work8ng on our Allotment a Month later. The only weird thing is I still get the sensation to go to the toilet conventionally and obviously don’t have the body parts to do such. Apparently this is normal too. I just feel like the Surgeon (my new Hero) has given me my life back and better still no drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.