Opinion about Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all !

I have some question regarding  mirtazapine.

I wanna take it exclusively for weight gain & appetite. ( I'm an ectomorph with high metabolism). 25yo 1.74m 66kg. I eat approx 3000kcal of clean food  & workout 3times per week.

My question is: If I try 30mg for 6 weeks ( i heard lower dosage has nasty sedative effects ) how do i withdraw ? Because i dont wanna have those sides u have at a lower dosage.

Many thanks ! 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The lower doses are sedating but that over sedating feeling lasts a week tops then go it only lasted 2 days for me then it's just sends me to sleep naturally and no hangover effect the next day I'm on 15 mg and full of energy during the day x
    • Posted

Im on 15 and so tierd all the time only been a week..lets hope it gets better..in two wks time iv to take 30..tbh cant wait to put weight on lol
    • Posted

Yes it does I've been on all the doses 30mg was too simulating for me made me aniexty increase tenfold reduced 45mg sent me manic so reduced back to 15mg and back on tract. I'd give 15mg more time as this is very powerful drug and hard to wd from so only go up if your sure you need to. I was ill physically for almost 2 weeks with every decrease x
    • Posted

Been on mirt since March. The tirdness does go honestly and if it doesn't mirt is not for you x
  • Posted

Also to wd you will have to reduce your dose starting at 30 mg it will still sedate you as it's very powerful new drug so you will avoid the sedating effect of the drug by starting at that dose x
  • Posted

its ok

week 1-6 30mg

week 6-8 15mg

week 8 - none ?

• Posted

That's a very fast wd tbh. You could get some nasty wd effects plus it takes 6 weeks to reach full effect I and start workinf don't know why brother to take it at all if your just going to stop when it begins working x
    • Posted

Dont just stop them ween urcel off them can do more damage jus stopping them..

• Posted

Week 1_6 30mg

Week6-8 22.5mg

Week8-10 15mg

Week10-12 7.5mg

Week 13 7.5mg every other night

Stop

Much less harsh mirt is know for nasty wd never stop at 15mg you will hit wd full force some people will tell to half the 7.5mg to 3.75mg coz 7.5mg stopping can cause nasty wd believe me x

• Posted

I understand but i wanna know if its a solution to avoid the low dosage sides.
    • Posted

at higher dosage ( 30mg+ ) it stimulates the release of dopamine which can counteract the sedative qualities.
    • Posted

No there isn't you can stop at 30mg but believe me you will be so I'll mirtazapine isn't a drug you mess around with wd has to be done slowly you will still be sedated at 30mg it's the most power anti histamine on the planet and once your use to it the sedation goes x
    • Posted

Way too aggressive a reduction schedule!  Mirt can be cruel to get off of the lower you go, causing all kinds of horrid symptoms. A 10% reduction per month is recommended, based on the previous month's dose.  
  • Posted

I have been off Mirt for 34 days. I cold turkeyed after weaning myself down for 30 mg to 15 mg. The side effects were unbearable. Shaking, tremors, sweating, vomiting, upset stomach, headaches, anxiety, panic attacks, itching, restless leg syndrome ect. This is by far the worst medicine to get off of! I don't recommend playing around with this and "just giving it a try" I have read plenty of blogs on here that people say it takes 7 months, lowering your dose to get the withdraws to go away. I am crying every day, depressed...the list goes on and on but I will not go back to how I first started out. I don't think this drug is good at all. Will never take it again. I recommend clean eating, I take vitamins and shakes and drink nothing but purified water. If any of you are experiencing this, please hang in there and know there will be better days.
    • Posted

Monica, I feel for you - did you have to get off Mirt quickly for medical reasons?  I guess you have come across David on this forum who did the same as you - he is 7 months nearly now and still struggling after cold turkey, and because of this his doctor has suggested going on a low dose, 7.5 or 3.5 I think, and staying there for a while until it settles.

I know youu said you'd never take it again, and so did he, but it may just help you in the long run, then wean off megga slow from there once settled.  I too am doing a slow taper after many months of researching the best way to WD, so I thought I would follow the 10% method, and then thought again and am doing a 5% every 2 weeks.  Not for everyone, but at least it will give my mind/body a chance to readjust - here's hiping anyway.

If and when I get there I'm going to come back and let y'all know as this forum has been so helpful for me.  My GP actually disagrees with my method saying you can get off it in 4 weeks - well - she's the other side of the desk and I sincerely hope she never has to try.

Wishing you well

C x

• Posted

I didn't have to quit for medical reasons. I just didn't seem to get it to level off in my body. I was on it for a year and three months. I was still having anxiety issues and panic attacks. I always had side effects and foggy thinking. It did stop my throwing up and helped me sleep but that is in full force again. I am sleeping ok. I do wake up all through the night and can eventually fall back asleep but I am so emotional and scatter brained.

I still take Clonazepam .5 twice a day and it was helping at first but now I feel like it can cause my anxiety at times. I have even looked into marijuana for the throwing up and not eating but I hate how cloudy my thoughts are on that too. I don't feel like I can handle stress of any kind and I have to force myself out of the house to get my thoughts on a better path.

I think the hardest part right now is the anxiety and panic attacks which bring on the throwing up. Depression is another one I'm fighting right now. I am taking natural products and I try and stay away from caffeine or any stimulant since I feel like my senses are hightened anyways. 

I really worry that I might be this way for months (7 or more like David). I do a lot of reading and I don't even watch T.V. anymore. Anything disturbing or violent sends my anxiety into a tizzy. I really hope others on here are doing better and I am so thankful that we are all on here to help one another. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.