Opinion on recent dosage decrease

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm trying to decrease from 20mg prednisone that I've been on for a month or two. Dropped to 19mg three days ago. Today, the third day, I am feeling a return of the aches and pains and fatigue. Steroid withdrawal or flare.....how long should I stick with it to give it a  fair chance to hopefully resolve and stablilize ? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would give it a week. It is likely neither of those. Simply your body adjusting to the dosage change. Some people experience some discomfort every time they taper. I personally find that tapering by .5 mg works better for me.
    • Posted

I guess I meant my body adjusting to the change instead of "steroid withdrawal" ( thought they were the same ).  Forgot to mention dizziness as a prominent symptom too. 

• Posted

Hi scotth42

i also have had a few bouts of dizziness when reducing from similar levels. It usually only lasts a day or two after the reduction but it is most unpleasant asyou'd know. While I have attributed this to the tapering it could also however be the fact my iron levels were very low - something I discovered recently.

All the best

• Posted

scotth42, I get a bit dizzy or woozy if I move too quickly or get up too quickly, I think it is reducing the Pred, but do not remember having this the last time. I guess just one of those things! But still smiling 🙂

• Posted

Hi scotth42, I also am tapering, but using a modified DSNS. Are you familiar with DSNS? If not check it here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reducing-pred-dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-method-531439

If you have any questions I will try and answer them. Good luck on your journey.

• Posted

Michdonn - thanks....I am familiar with it but at 20mg I didn't think a 5% decrease would be significant. Also need to get down off the 20 since I've been there too long. 

• Posted

scotth42, that is why I am doing a modified version, working my way down from 30 mg. Is it necessary, I don't know, but figured better to be safe than sorry. I have had no problems and now at 17.5 next step will be 15.

Good luck with your journey.

• Posted

Depends on how you look at it whether it is "too long" - most experts would start a patient on 20mg for at least 6 weeks before reducing. The test is have the symptoms resolved as much as they are going to and are the blood markers (if applicable) normal.

But some people are very sensitive to dose change - even if it doesn't actually cause steroid withdrawal rheumatism it may well make them feel unwell for a several days. Give it a week - and if it takes longer then next time try 0.5mg and see if that is better. If you feel OK then you could do another 0.5mg a week or so later.

• Posted

I'm sure Eileen will comment soon as she is our resident expert on this disease. But I believe that steroid withdraw generally happens when your at a very low dosage and your adrenals haven't started making enough cortisone to replace the prednisone. And a flare can happen just any time Willy nilly. Typically when you've scheduled something fun to do that week. LOL

• Posted

Try using DSNS method. It is not necessary, but makes the reduction easier.  You are alternating new and old dose and body can adjust much easier. At higher does some people use 2-2.5mg steps,  and it should be OK as long as reduction is less then or close to  10% of the dose (for 20mg that would be 2mg).  I was able to drop in 2.5 steps all the way to 10mg, and then I changed to 1mg.  But everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.
  • Posted

I generally found i had a few aches and pains when i changed my dosage. I recently started taking it between 3am and 4am as suggested many a time on here(or even earlier) and i wake up feeling fine and really wished i had done it sooner. Just changed dosage and nothings happening, hope it stays that way!
    • Posted

Liz, just  a small correction... If you are taking un-coated prednisone, the best time to take it is a between 1 and 2 AM. It takes  2-3 hours for prednisone to get into your system and cytokines are generated around  4-4:30AM.
    • Posted

Reading this post with interest about taking pred in early hours. Do you still manage to sleep ok? I find that the pred wakes me up & I become alert & sometimes wired. 😨

• Posted

It can't do anything for at least an hour and probably 2 - it has to be absorbed first and then be processed by the liver if it is prednisone. Many people manage to get to sleep and that's it.

• Posted

Well im not going to quibble about an hour or two, its working for me! regarding sleep i havnt slept properly for years, long before PMR reared its ugly head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.