Opinions if Coeliac is a possibility?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am currently 19. I would never have noticed I had any symptoms if it wasn't for my Mother having Coeliac.

I have been eating healthy for the past week, I thought this would be a good time to cut out Gluten to see if my symptoms would reduce. Potentially ruling it out.

I ate a pancake tonight (yes, I broke my diet) but after this I have had stomach pain, nausea and other unpleasant effects.

I don't have many symptoms day-to-day when I am not on a diet apart from the odd stomach cramp and generally feeling shattered all of the time.

Could be Coeliac?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I was diagnosed 15 years ago and was advised then, that my children and grandchildren should have the initial blood test as it can be hereditary. They were all clear except one grandchild who was borderline and needed the biopsy so it would be wise for you to be tested anyway. The test is not accurate unless you are eating gluten so you would need to come off your diet and eat gluten until after the test. I also was tired all the time b/f and that is the first thing I recognize if I eat gluten by mistake. I lliterally fall asleep . Recently, my daughter took me to a new fish restaurent that advertised a gluten free menu. When I got home I knew immediately that I had a problem. I had stomach pains, felt sick and went to sleep. My daughter phoned the restaurent and asked if they cook their gluten free in the same oil as there other food and they said yes .We can be that sensitive. Good luck with it.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this. It has been really helpful.

Do you know if you can get complete diagnosis from a blood test alone? The idea of a biopsy is worrying me!

• Posted

Hi. The blood test shows if you have the antibodies and if positive indicates coeliac. The blood test does sometimes show false negatives and that is when you need a biopsy. Very simple actually and you are only in for a couple of hours. They give you some knock out drops and you don't feel a thing. Sometimes the blood test is enough but to be absolutely certain they advise a biopsy.
  • Posted

Rachel,

Take the first step of the blood test. If positive you could just try a gluten free diet to see if you improve.

Ultimately, the biopsy is the conclusive test. I had it done recently with a sedative and it is really all over in a very quick time. Given that Ceoliac disease is a chronic illness you should take the two tests step by step. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.