Opinions of Prolia

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm going to have to start taking Prolia because even though a bone density test did not indicate that I had osteoporosis I have had 5 (or possibly even 6) compression fractures in my back. they are just breaking for no apparent reason although I know one broke from bending over. so I want to know what everyone's thoughts are of Prolia.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did your osteoperosis come from taking prednisone ?

• Posted

probably but before I took prednisone I had a bone density test done that showed osteopenia that was about a year-and-a-half before I started prednisone . then the next bone density test I had done was two-and-a-half years later just here in April . so I can only assume that the prednisone made matters worse then they were to begin with. I have diabetes which was also brought on by the prednisone. before prednisone I was considered pre-diabetic. and once I was on Prednisone for a while I went from pre-diabetic to diabetic pretty quickly.

• Posted

wow, it's a very scary drug. Some seem ok and others definately not.

Best wishes to you, hope all settles down soon.

Vicki

• Posted

The question to ask is how long you are to be on the Prolia and what they intend to do when they stop the Prolia/denosumab. It has recently been discovered that when Prolia is stopped there is rebound loss of bone density which causes fractures - exactly why you are to take it. So either you have to remain on Prolia or switch to oral bisphosphonates - which also seems a bit strange if you had to be on Prolia instead in the first place.

I'm surprised they are offering Prolia given the state of your back - Forteo is the only approved drug that actively builds bone.

• Posted

The study was done out of the University of Alberta in Edmonton in 2012. You can access it at: https://www.ncbi.nim.nih/gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265100/

I really hope that link works. I couldnt copy and paste per usual on this incredibly counter-intuitive new interface.

If you google "micronutrients osteoporosis study alberta" you'll find it. Its a solid piece of research with outcomes that are doable.

Thanks to Karen for the lead.

• Posted

Teriparatide is a possibility. You can take it for two years and in fact is sometimes the drug of choice if someone needs to come off Prolia to help avoid possibility of rebound fractures. Unlike the other drugs, including Prolia, it actually promotes bone formation, as Jean says. I also recently read of another medication in the same class as Teriparatide, so the research continues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.