Opinions on increased dose

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm going to see my doctor today.  But wondering if anyone has had experience can help me.   Started on 10mg. citalopram for 3 weeks.  It fizzled out, so went to 20mg.  Today is day 6 on 20mg..  I had some effect from the dose starting day 4, but now it seems I don't feel the dose working anymore. Wondering  if a higher dosage is needed??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

You need to allow betwen 4 and 6 weeks for each new dose to kick in.

• Posted

Thanks Grunthos.  Seems I'm not feeling much from this dose on day 6.

• Posted

I want to thank katecogs and grunthos for your reaffirmations on sticking it out.  My doctor assured me that it works very gradually and slowly.....over 2-8 weeks.  She encouraged me to do relaxation and socialize with friends- doing something uplifting to help this along.  And to not stress too much about anything because that can aggravate the condition.  

She strongly advised CBT as being helpful.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

CBT works much better when you are stable on anti-depressants.  I know from personal experience!  If side-effects from Citalopram are still predominant then you may end up being treated for them rather than for any underlying problems you may have.  In my case I had a breakdown because I was being bullied at work and ended up being treated for sexual dysfunction caused by Citalopram, a common side-effect.

• Posted

lol  Grunthos, sorry had to laugh.  I think I'll stick to CBT for relaxation and anxiety since I'll be dealing with side effects for the next few weeks.

How long did it take your side effects to calm down and become more stable on your dose? 

• Posted

BTW, started feeling a significant boost from the 20 this evening.  I suppose it's going to be up and down like that til it stabilizes.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Don't worry about laughing, I'll do you good  :-)

My problem, 10 years ago now, was that Cit turned me into a wreck just before I was assessed by the local Community Mental Health Team.  As soon as I told them about my side-effects of loss of libido and inability to have an orgasm they assumed the side-effects were my underlying problem.  I told them that my HR department had found me another job in the organisation that I worked for but the CMHT didn't listen and I ended up having six months off work even though I had a course of computerised CBT, where a laptop replaces the usual therapist.

I can't remember how long it took to become stable on Cit but I know I was a complete wreck for at least a month.  I've since been on Cit twice for anxiety since then and have currently been on Cit for three months with my dose now at 40mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.