Opinions on meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am looking for everyones input on this one. Meds, which one works for you, if any. I have to make some choices soon. Currently on methotrexate, folic acid, valium and oxycodone. I'm from New Jersey, suddenly the heroin epidemic is making all the doctors around here not give out narcotics. I know people who "hurt their back" and get medical marijuana, oxycotin( the crazy stuff, not oxycodone) etc. Ridiculous, well maybe good for them but annoying to people like us with real issues. I have a fractured(5 or 6 times) and separated clavicle, fractured vertebrae, broken ribs, rib cage is twisted, had a spinal fusion in my neck with a nerve that is still compressed(damaged in all reality). A compressed vein, degenerative disc disease, 6 or 7 herniated discs( cervical and lumbar), and AS. Still on the fence with AS or is it spondyloarthropathy. Yeah I know the difference, not sure my rheumy is connecting the dots with any certainty. Comforting ;(, to say the least. I may not be able to get narcotics anymore, and it sucks, because I can control myself with them and they help. And it seems I may be allergic to Nsaids. That's just peachy isn't it.

What WORKS best for you? If nothing is doing it for you, please share that as well. My wife wants me to try Humira and yes Hope I know what your gonna say, but say it anyway. I am looking forward too many responses to compare and evaluate. Adverse side effects vs. positive effects. Dmards, Nsaids, Bios, name it- I'm listening. The more the merrier! Don't be shy, there are alot of people on this site. I am looking for a group effort here, as ya'll are the people who know the most. Seriously! I wanna go into my next pain management and rheumy visits with overwhelming info. and awareness.

Can't wait to see what everyone has to say, Indi

PS- Thanx for your time, ahead of time. lol

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There are some great posts in this forum about diet for AS.  You don't say how your sleep is?  I found that low dose amitriptyline helped - better sleep - less pain in the day.

• Posted

My sleep is horrible. I wake up with body parts frozen with pain. Also have really bad night sweats. My diet is ....ok.  It could be better, one thing I know I do is eat late at night. Not good, I know. I tried trapazodone as a sleep aid(spelling check on that one) but I found it just made me feel like a zombie the next day- not worth it.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

• Posted

Any of the so called z drugs are only suitable for short term use due to dependency.
  • Posted

Anyone else wanna help me out with this one??
  • Posted

I don't think I can offer anything new.... Here are medications I've taken successfully:

My go-to is Mobic as I cannot do DMARDS or anti-TNFs. Celebrex was like heaven to me, but I'm allergic.

Cymbalta or Effexor can dull some of my pain's highs.

I took Flexiril for 17 years before it stopped working. It helped me sleep through the night. It had a strong side-effect of drowsiness. I took it every night before bed. I would only take it during the days I had extreme pain and or spasms and no plans to drive. A great benefit of Flexiril is that it would calm everything down overnight and I would not experience morning spasms through my spine

I switched to a new muscle relaxer which helps with the spasms, but I haven't slept through the night since last March when the Flexiril stopped working.

I also take Hydrocodone and Tramadol. I've been taking Tramadol at night to help with sleep, but it's not good sleep.

I use Lidocaine patches on my spine. I once used Flector patches which have an anti-inflammatory. I really liked the reduction of pain.

I have used compounds. They were only helpful for my neck as those joints are close to the skin.

That's all I can remember of what has been effectivel long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.