Opinions on Methotrexate please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,  I have had PMR for about 3 years.  I am on Pred and down to 7mg for the second time.  Not feeling too bad still pretty tough to get going in the mornings but nothing too horrendous pain wise.  I have been referred to a Rheumy team and they have suggested I try Methotrexate.   I was given a leaftlet and told to have a think and come back to discuss.  My follow up appt was today and I said that I thought I would give it a go but then I got a lot more info about side effects etc and have come away pretty frightened.  Also it appears that I will be on both sets of drugs and all the other stuff that goes with it (stomach tabs, bone tabs etc) for a least 3 months in the first instance and then slowly, very slowly reduce the Pred.   On the face of it I don't see that I have got anything to gain and a lot more potential misery if I decide to go ahead.  I am sat here with the new drugs but I thought I would have a good long think and ask all you lovely people who have helped so much in the past what your experiences have been.   Hope to hear from you soon - good or bad.  Thanks for being there!!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you done any research as to other options, Shirley?  For 20 or so years I have refused the drugs that have the many side effects for your reasons, and just this past year asked my dr about the APT (antibiotic protocol therapy) that the late Dr. Brown had used on thousands of his patients with success.  I am now on this (minocycline) since September and am experiencing great results - no swelling in my joints, and I feel I have more strength in my body.  I am still on 10 mg of pred will plans to ween down/off, but will see how it goes.  Please check out this option - for me, it was the best thing with no side effects.  God be with you.
    • Posted

I have read also that Minocycline helps RA, if I am right it`s an antibiotic? but rheumies in my sister`s hospital (and mine) won`t hear of it, she has RA....it`s such a shame there`s no consistency with patients and treatment!...When she was in hospital last year for a minor operation, she caught a virus, the antibiotic they put her on (Tetracycline) took all her pain and stiffness away....they couldn`t explain it, but also didn`t want to know....such a shame for my sister..

Such a minefield....but we plod on...Good luck

• Posted

Wow, Linda, thanks for posting that, I see several articles/sites talking about this APT when I searched. I'm curious about it now.  I've rarely, rarely taken antibiotics, so I don't think my body would be immune to them, but finding a doctor...ha.  I printed an article to take to my appt on 22nd. 
    • Posted

Keep us posted if you get anywhere...good luck with your appt...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.