Opinions on Surgery for GERD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Its been a while since I posted but in the last 9 months, i have had the following:

2 biopsies - one without sedation and one with (if you are given the choice, do not agree to have this done without sedation as I found just using the throat spray was absolutely horrendous and they didn't even get the biopsies required.

So it turns out I have Barrett's syndrome and am now being treated with Esomoperazole 40mg twice a day and 300mg of Ranitidine per day.  They are sort of keeping my symptoms at bay but the side effects are pretty awful especially the thinning of my hair and the constipation.

I am now at the pount of considering surgery but really not sure what the best option is and am getting conflicting reports from two different consultants.  i would be interested to hear from anyone who has had surgery and anyone who would know some of the options and the pros/cons of the options available.

thank you in advance 

Lyndsay

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lyndsay, I'm not sure where you live but in the states I had a procedure done called the Linx procedure. It's still a new type of procedure but I know in the UK it's hard to find doctors that do it but here in the states there's only certain amount of doctors that do perform this procedure but I had it done about 2 years ago and actually will be 2 years in August and since then I have not had any PPI medication and I have not had any reflux sense and actually I take that back you might get a little symptoms of reflux but all I do is take one or two Tums and that goes away right away. It was probably the best decision I have ever made and if I had to do it again I would do it in a heartbeat. PPI medication is not good for you in fact there doing more harm to your body than good yes you feel good because you don't feel the sensation of reflux however you're still getting reflux it's just that the acid coming up is not as strong and that's why you don't feel coming up but in reality you still are getting reflux and it's doing harm to your esophagus and the pills are just doing damage to your body. All doctors want to do is keep putting a Band-Aid on the issue and don't want to get into the area of how can we fix this condition. Like I said they don't care they just want to put a bandaid on the issue but in your situation it sounds like you have a pretty severe case of it such as I did I would look into this procedure called the linx.

• Posted

Hi Jason

Thank you for your reply.

I live in the UK and my consultant is pretty useless. I had looked up the Lynx procedure and I feel that surgery is the route I need.

I have tried to reduce the PPI's but I'm in agony every time I do and just feel so ill.

I'm going to get a 2nd opinion from another consultant.

Thanks

Lyndsay

• Posted

I will say after doing lots of research this surgery is very safe and is very simple. I took one day off work to have the surgery and another day just to be safe I went back to work on the third day with no issue at all. I will say however with this type of surgery they have to fill you with air in order to do the procedure however that is really the worst part of it all because it does hurt a little bit to breathe your chest hurts and your shoulders and that's because your insides are expanding a little bit but after a few days you're back to normal and you can eat drink whatever you want and there have been Foods I haven't eaten or things I've drank in years and I can say this procedure worked from day one so if you can try to find a doctor that does this procedure you will be so grateful and not have to worry about issues anymore. And I will say that most doctors know days are useless they don't do the in-depth research they just want to take the easiest way out and get paid for it which is total BS because that's their job to help people in to fix issues not put Band-Aids on them.

• Posted

Thanks Jason...I took the step today of asking to see a different consultant and I'm going to stand my ground this time 😊

• Posted

Hi there I was reading your history and make sure you do tons of research on surgery options I had laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication done about 3 yrs ago for to fix a hiatal hernia and at the time I didn't have the option of a second opinion or the doc didn't give me any other options this was it or nothing so I did it now I have so many complications from it have dumping syndrome can't absorb nothing Im definite in vitamin a,e,k,and specially severely definite in D I have no quality of life I have to always be near a restroom I'm afraid to eat cause certain foods cause extreme pain and others cause me to be in the bathroom it's a visus cycle so please please make sure you research before considering surgery always get a second opinion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.